Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High Ping Times----SOLVED----
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Been having some issues with my moms PC, she keeps complaining about how slow her connection is, had her run speed test and 14.99 download and 1.01 upload which is right on par for her service. What I noticed was her ping time was 114ms, I checked with the PC on the other end of the house and it has the same up and down speeds but only a ping of 14ms. I have ran the test a few times and got the same results all with in a few ms of each other. This was ran with speedtest.net all the machines are wired with Cat5e and the machine with the lowest ping time is the newest machine, (specs listed in my profile), hers is a Core2Duo, 4GB of ram, Win7 (install is about 14 months old), there is more cable to my machine about 50' worth, hers is about 7 feet. My machine runs through a Netgear switch to a netgear router WNDR3700, hers is wired directly to the router.

Virus and spyware checks come up clean.... I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this, unless its a bad cable, I have dig around and see if I have another ethernet cable laying around.

Last edited by nsvander on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: High Ping Times
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Bad wire or Ethernet port/chip would be my first thought as well.

If that is a multiport wifi router try a different port(s) first.

If you have a spare compatible Ethernet card available might try that to rule out her hardware.

Might try TCPOptimizer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I dug around and found a spare cable. I unplugged my pc from the port on the switch and swapped mine to the router and hers to where mine was on the switch. Same slow ping and mine was 15ms hers 116. Beginning to think it's hardware. I might have a PCI network card around. Going to dig that up and try it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:24 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you look in Device manager to see if the network adapter is having problems? I would go there anyway and right click on the adapter and choose update driver, let it use the internet to do it and see if it updates, if it did, see if the ping times improved.

As you said also try a pci adapter. If the times don't improve, you mom's pc may be hi-jacked and is part of a bot net. In that case I would back up her data, boot to the win dvd and fix the mbr first, then format the drive and install windows from scratch.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I ran some more trouble shooting late last night, there is some hardware/software issues going on. The front USB ports on the PC were not working as well. So for shits and giggles, I rebooted the machine to see if that would get the front usb ports working and they started working, also the ping time went down to 19ms. I cracked open the case to check the caps, and they are all pristine, so now I am going to zap the usb and network drivers and reinstall those and see if the problems come back. Might be time for a new build.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Go get all the latest drivers for that motherboard! If you feel comfortable updating the bios, do that too.

Nasty

Post subject: Re: High Ping Times-------SOLVED
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Okay I have spent some decent time with the machine over the last week or so and it seems to have been resolved. There was an updated network driver, so I installed that, (already had the latest BIOS, I installed that while first trouble shooting). Seems those drivers have fixed the ping time issues so far, and the front panel USB not working as well as a sleep issue that this thing has had since almost day one.

I think Intel got this driver right! So it now hibernates and wakes with out issues, and when it does wake, the front panels usb now work with out a reboot.