Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What do I need to run 3 100hz monitors?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:33 pm 

I've built a few pc's for myself, friends, and family. My cousin just asked me to build him a pc that can run 3X100hz monitors at once. Apparently 60hz strains his eyes :roll: . Anyway, I don't know much about monitors or what's needed for something like that so I figured I would ask here. He wont be doing much gaming, this is a work pc that needs to have 3 monitors, will OC CPU to prolly about 4.4 or 4.5. So far the build is like this (as per his demands). BTW he wants silent, very silent, so if you have a better idea for silent components, or any components for that matter, feel free to post suggestions. Price range is under $4,000. As of right now I'm sitting at about $2900 if I get it all on amazon, cheaper the better obviously.

PSU - Seasonic 850w
CPU - i7-4770k (I figured I'd go Haswell so he has a couple upgrade options down the line)
Mobo - Asus Sabertooth Z87
RAM - 16GB corsair vengeance 1600Mhz (as per demand, but imo he should go 32GB)
GPU - Asus DirectCU II HD7970 3GB (at least 2GB as per demand)
SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB (250-ishGB SSD primary drive as per demand)
HDD - WD Blue 1TBx4 in RAID 10 (1TB HDDx4 RAID 10 as per demand)
Monitor - Asus vg248x3 (as per demand)
OS - Windows 7 Pro
CPU Cooler - NZXT KRAKEN x40
Extra Fans - ??? quiet as possible
Case - ??? might have his own but if not I need something professional. Absolutely nothing flashy. (maybe a fan control display so he can tweak his noise level a bit or something)

Post subject: Re: What do I need to run 3 100hz monitors?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's clear up a few things here...

• Silence is a relative thing. I could claim that my computer is silent, because I don't hear it over the background noise or when I have my speakers going. If you want absolute silence, that means passive cooling, which doesn't net you very much in terms of power. Otherwise, you're going to have to invest in some pretty massive heatsinks or a water cooling loop.
  • If gaming is not a priority, then you can drop the graphics card to something basic, like an HD7790. However, you are going to need Dual Link DVI cables and a Display Port cable for all three monitors to run at their maximum refresh rate (I'm sure HDMI doesn't support 144Hz because it's weird like that). Anyway, do some more homework on this.
  • Your cousin's claim isn't because of the monitor's refresh rate. If this were a CRT, then yes, that would be more understandable. However, LCD monitors don't 'flicker' as they're illuminated by a more or less constant light source. Refresh rate in an LCD is the fastest it can display frames. If his eyes are straining, it's because of his environment more likely to cause this, not his monitor. Unless he is using a CRT.
  • What kind of work is this?

Post subject: Re: What do I need to run 3 100hz monitors?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:52 pm 

He's an electrical engineer who designs and tests circuit boards. He wants 3 monitors so he can have 1 monitor for the picture of the circuit board, 1 for the program he tests them with, and 1 for writing up his assessments and email. Apparently he doesn't like to switch tabs.

The only reason I went with the 7970 was because it had 4 hdmi ports. Yes you are correct that hdmi doesn't support a refresh rate over 60hz. Not yet anyways.

He is going from his company building to being independent so the environment is prolly the problem, but he said that getting the new monitors at work helped with the eye strain. Either way, he wants 3 monitors running 100hz+, so that's what I will give him.

I did find a forum thread that said a guy can run 3 monitors at 120hz with a GTX 680 using 3 DVI-D dual link cables and 1 of the DVI-D dual link cables hooked up to a DisplayPort (Male) to DVI (Female). According to Amazon, the Gigabyte HD7790 has the proper ports so I believe this will solve my problem, and help save a few bucks as well for my cousin.

Thanx for the feedback. It was much appreciated.