Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WILL AMD PERFORM BETTER FROM NEW CONSOLES
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm 

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the fact that AMD is making the GPU's and CPU's for the new consoles, how do you think this will effect PC performance?

With the consoles being 8 cores, will that give cpu's like the 6350 or the 8350 any sort of major advantage over Intel CPU's with lower thread counts?

And with the GPU's being AMD architecture, with that translate into an increase in performance for AMD cards?

I'm curious to see what people think about this, with the not so great reaction or Ivy Bridge E, and haswells issues, could this be a turn around for AMD?

Post subject: Re: WILL AMD PERFORM BETTER FROM NEW CONSOLES
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I have no reason to believe that AMD systems will get better performance simply because AMD is supplying the hardware for consoles.

On the CPU front, Jaguar is the successor to Bobcat, which was meant to compete with Intel's Atom processors. From the get go, it's a low power, but very low performing part. Even in multithreaded situations, even a low voltage laptop processor with fewer cores will cream it (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6974/amd-kabini-review/3). And while developers may make low level optimizations to Jaguar, this will only work for Jaguar because it's still a different core architecture from AMD's desktop offerings.

On the GPU front, it's still the usual "batch up a bunch of jobs, throw it into API, API makes necessary driver calls". So it's really up to AMD to make the optimizations here, not the game developers. Unless AMD gave free reign to Sony and Microsoft to develop their own drivers for the system, then it's up to Sony and Microsoft.

In any case, the other thing is that what console gamers demand performance wise and what PC gamers demand. For high quality visuals, developers are fine with 30FPS on consoles. But the "PC Gaming Master Race" demands 60FPS. While I'm sure the GPU in both consoles is up to snuff, it's the CPU that's probably going to be dragging the system down a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 am 

I would be pretty happy with a reliable >40fps in racing games and I've never done consoles. But I've never claimed membership in the PC Gaming Master Race, either. And never used more than one display at a time, although I am in the middle of collecting components for my first gaming PC.

And what about those guys who demand >100fps? Who the heck are they?

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

RubyR wrote:
And what about those guys who demand >100fps? Who the heck are they?

Frank

IMNSHO? They are 'Gamers' with more money than brains. And I will stop there or this will turn into a rant.