Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Please help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm 

Hi,
Please help, Ill try to explain it as detailed as possible.
So last week my cousin borrowed my CPU along w/ its power cable for he is using it for a presentation. When he gave it back, I noticed that the power cable (which has three pins), has a missing pin, it seems he has removed it so that itll fit into the wall. It had three pins, and the round pin was removed. He said it works well anyways.
So I put it back and connected it back to the AVR. It was fine for about 3 days. Then one day, while the PC is on and I turned on my TV, the electricity went out for a second, so I had to restart it. A few hours later I turned on the lights in the toilet cuz I gotta pee and it seems the electricity went out for a second again. xD. A day after, it happened again, I restarted it and just a few minutes later, the electricity went out again only in our house, it was for about 5 minutes! And I can hear something like "buzzing?" (like bees buzzing lol) from our fuse. When the electricity came back I didnt restart it and immediately went to the store and bought a new power cable. I replaced it but I didnt use it for that night. A day after, I turned the PC on and it seems everything is working fine. Its about 2 or 3 days ago.
PS: This is how my power cable looked like : http://www.pcpower.com/images/products/ ... 1_3841.jpg

Now I just wanna know what happened. Please explain it to me. And tell me if there has been a permanent damage to either my PC or my electricity-in-the-house-whatever (i dunno what 2 call it xD).

Thanks in advance everyone!

Post subject: Re: Please help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

1. Replaced the power cord. That pin is there for a reason. It is a ground.
2. Buy an uninterruptible power supply. With power going out as often as you say, this is a good investment to protect the computer.
3. Never let your cousin borrow anything ever again. NEVER EVER!! NEVER!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 am 

And replace the fuse in your home fuse box that was buzzing.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If someone has to break something because "it wouldn't fit", they deserved to be upsmacked up on the side of the head.

Also make him pay for any damages/replacements.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Something else I should have added in my reply, that buzzing you are hearing near the fuse? Not good. You should not hear anything. This could be dangerous. I would call an electrician and have them check it out.
As for the permanent damage, at this point it is doubtful. You started your computer and it seems to be running fine. But with your 'buzzing' fuse, it could be in the future.
Not knowing if you are the parent or the child I will answer this way:
Parent - get an electrician to check out that buzzing. It could be dangerous.
Child - get your parents to call an electrician. It could be dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 am 

Ive replaced the power cable about 3 days ago and everything has been working fine.

About the buzzing, therere no buzzings anymore, it only lasted for about a minute when the power went out in our house for 5 mins.

Oh and my cousin, I really wanna smack him when I saw him again, I told him what happened and he just said he doesnt know why cuz it works fine that way.

EDIT : ya and Im a child.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 am 

You still need to have someone responsible look at your fusebox and whatever wiring in the vicinity is visible. Look for smoke stains or melted insulation. That would indicate over heating even if the fuse was not blown, and could be an indication of heightened vulnerability to future overloads - and in the worst case scenario, heightened vulnerability to an electrical fire.

Also have someone inspect the outlet where your power cord plugs into the wall for signs of over heating. Don't touch anything inside, just look.

Talk to your dad, your mom, whoever you live with who is in charge. Don't put it off. Good luck.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:08 am 

Okay, told my parents about it, they know an electrician who could look it up tomorrow.
Thanks!

EDIT: just got home from school. they said the electrician said its fine :) yay

Anyways, thanks everyone!