Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is Window's Desktop a Dead Man Walking?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:00 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Brad Chacos, former MPC contributor, recently wrote an extremely informative article explaining Microsoft's vision and how they are organizing the company to provide a unified experience. In it, he forecasts a grim future for the desktop:

"The desktop is the past for Microsoft; the modern UI vision is the future...The die is cast."

After reading his article, I was left with mixed emotions. On one side, he provided a compelling argument justifying the move to Metro and how Microsoft planned to implement it. I can say it was probably the best explanation I had ever seen. Not only did I understand the motive and reasoning, I agreed with it! And it looked like Microsoft was taking the right steps to implement it.

On the flip side, I felt like a part of what makes Windows "Windows" was dying. It's a familiar part of the experience for me. Currently, I don't think Metro is the appropriate replacement to the desktop. At work, and at home, I run several windows across two screens. I use some windows in tandem and have others running in the periphery so I can monitor them with a quick glance. Metro's current big, bubbly, full-screen applications would significantly hinder my experience, not to mention drastically impact my productivity.

With Win 8, the desktop feels crippled. When I switch to it I feel like Microsoft has intentionally made the experience unfriendly and burdensome, like I'm being punished for wanting to use it (and after reading Chacos's article, perhaps there's some truth to that). I hope 8.1 fills in some gaps and allows for a better experience and functionality of the desktop.

So...is 8.1 the desktop's swan song? Are we destined to a PC experience where you're allowed to see one app at a time and you have to search for an imaginary trigger that pulls out hidden menus? Or will the desktop live on and persevere? Has it become tradition, a part of Windows that will continue in future versions (like the Accessories folder)?

Thoughts?

NOTE: I intentionally did not linked Brad's article in this post. It is available on the internet and you should be able to find it using a basic search with some of the terms used above.

Post subject: Re: Is Window's Desktop a Dead Man Walking?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always considered the desktop vs tablet mentality as
Desktop = data productivity = business use
Tablet = data consumption = consumer use

If I were a business I'd certainly expect to be able to keep using a desktop with multiple open windows. I tried the Win 8 preview and was immediately turned off by the Fisher-Price feel of tiles.

As a consumer, I have zero interest in a tablet or tiles or anything except a standard desktop, keyboard and mouse. I use my PC for entertainment, yes, but also for personal productivity (spreadsheets, databases, correspondence; graphics, video and audio work). Yes, I'm in the minority, but hey.

EDIT: added keyboard and comments

Last edited by OvenMaster on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:20 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind Desktop Mode and the Start Screen, simply because I kept focus on one thing: Are the things I normally do still more or less similar from the past? The answer was... Yes. I didn't care that they put in the ribbon interface in Explorer because I never really touch the menu or the options anyway. I don't care much for the Start Screen or Menu because I see it as a repo of my apps and I just pull it up, type a few letters in, and get what I want.

However, as much as we use maximized windows and such all the time, the tablet/phone environment doesn't work on the desktop... not because we use a keyboard and mouse, but because of one thing: its formfactor. And that necessitates how we should interact with the computer.

I also don't see Microsoft axing desktop mode any time soon because of one thing: businesses will en masse just give them the finger. Unless Metro has all the same apps and multi-windowing on the same screen is painless (which supposedly will be a feature in 8.1), businesses will go kicking and screaming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I agree with both Latios and OvenMaster. It would seem that the tiles interface is what MS is pushing, but they are making a HUGE mistake in trying to make the classic Desktop a "thing of the past" in that not everyone wants the main ui, and if they do drop the desktop or do more things to make it more difficult, even more businesses with drop windows and jump to mac.

Which, I may add, has done their Ui's right- the desktops need separate interfaces than the tablet/phones do. They don't need to have the same interface. I use the two categories of devices completely differently. It's still painfully slow and annoying to send a message from a phone/tablet, AND i don't ever see screen-touch desktops being a thing which will get momentum.