Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 7
So yeah, putting together a new pc because my old one can barely handle any new games lol. I only get like 20 fps in planetside on medium, same with just about every game made beyon 2009 lol.

So, I'd like your all's opinion on this build, price/performance wise anyway.

Asus AMD 970 AM3+ mobo- $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131873

AMD FX-6300 6-core processor 3.5ghz- $119.99 (might overclock, but probably wait till I get extra case fans and maybe a better cooler before I do that)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819113286

Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 8gb kit (2x4gb)- 73.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226191

2tb seagate barricuda- $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148910

Cooler Master seidon 120m- $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103179

SeaSonic 620w 80plus bronze modular Active PFC psu- 79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151095

evga GeForce GTX 760 2gb gpu- $249.99 (eventually going to buy another one and put them in sli)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130935

Fractal Design R4 w/window- $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352021

also got a 30 dollar 300mb/s wifi card and 16 dollar dvd drive because why the hell not, lol.

also got batman arkham origins for free, so woot.

The worst part about this now is redownloading my steam library lol.

Comments, broseidons?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5052
How much are you willing to spend total?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 7
Hard cap of $1000. Can't even go over that by a dollar lol.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:30 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5052
If you can take the $50 hit up front (the total is actually $1045) and wait for rebates, then here you go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Total: $990.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-07 17:29 EDT-0400)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 7
The problem is that I cannot wait for rebates. The grand total at the time of purchase HAS to be under $1000 or at least exactly $1000.
Not that that means I won't be upgrading this as I get more money. Just not until after its build and I have more saved up. The actual build is a going to college gift from my parents lol.
I'll eventually put an ssd in there. Probably upgrade to one of the new amd processors(probably the amd FX 9370) probably going to throw a better psu in there when I get a second graphics card.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Posts: 685
Quote:
Comments, broseidons?

Welcome to the forums and good luck on your new build. Just some general comments:

I think AMD is a great, low cost option for a gaming build and that 6300 is perfect. If you're familiar with overclocking, then the CPU cooler you have should give you plenty of headroom, so I don't see why you would want a bigger/better one...?

The RAM seems pricey, but it gets good reviews. If you haven't already purchased it, I would shop around. AMD actually came out with it's own brand of memory, but I couldn't find any that were available. Depending on the price, could be an option.

Quote:
... (eventually going to buy another one and put them in sli)

Not with that motherboard you're not: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/#specifications

I like the case - it's sleek, elegant and not gaudy. It says it comes with 2 fans (though I could only see the one in the back). If one's in the front, I would move it - the front cover will hinder airflow. Personally, I would make sure one of the fans is blowing air INTO the case (and I'm even thinking having both blow into the case would be a good idea). I'd rather have a more "active" cooling scenario where cold air is being blown in, than "passive" cooling where warm air is being blown out.

Hope this helps.

BTW - see if you can delete your other thread - you have two with the exact same comments.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:14 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 7
btdog wrote:
Quote:
Comments, broseidons?

Welcome to the forums and good luck on your new build. Just some general comments:

I think AMD is a great, low cost option for a gaming build and that 6300 is perfect. If you're familiar with overclocking, then the CPU cooler you have should give you plenty of headroom, so I don't see why you would want a bigger/better one...?

The RAM seems pricey, but it gets good reviews. If you haven't already purchased it, I would shop around. AMD actually came out with it's own brand of memory, but I couldn't find any that were available. Depending on the price, could be an option.

Quote:
... (eventually going to buy another one and put them in sli)

Not with that motherboard you're not: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/#specifications

I like the case - it's sleek, elegant and not gaudy. It says it comes with 2 fans (though I could only see the one in the back). If one's in the front, I would move it - the front cover will hinder airflow. Personally, I would make sure one of the fans is blowing air INTO the case (and I'm even thinking having both blow into the case would be a good idea). I'd rather have a more "active" cooling scenario where cold air is being blown in, than "passive" cooling where warm air is being blown out.

Hope this helps.

BTW - see if you can delete your other thread - you have two with the exact same comments.

I really should have went over that mobos specs better lol. I totally missed that, and now I feel like a total nub, lol. Especially after going for that mobo instead of the asrock I was originally gonna get.

I'll probably have both fans blow in until I get more fans for it. I do have all of it bought, actually. I had a better deal for the ram but it went out of stock right before I went to buy it.

Well, other than my slight oversight in picking the motherboard, I'm pretty happy with what I picked out, lol. I may either get a better mobo and put two 760's in sli, or get a 780, whichever is cheaper at the time.

I'll try to get the other thread deleted. Not quite sure how I duped it, lol.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:02 pm
Posts: 11
From the reading and research I've done for my own $1,100. build, I think that when you put in a second GPU you will need a bigger PSU, unless that CPU really uses a whole let less power than the i5-4670K. The eXtreme power calculator recommendation for my similar build is 650w for overclocking to 4.5MHz, and 750w if adding a second GTX 660. And I'm not sure, but I think my build might use a little less power than yours. But I'm just a reader, not a tech.

Frank


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5052
I had a computer with two GTX 560 TI's and it didn't eat up anymore than 330W off the wall. 650W is actually still okay. I'm lead to believe while eXtreme's PSU calculator is very handy, the default setting isn't exactly "real world" because you almost never tax your system that much.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am
Posts: 4730
Location: Dixon Springs, TN
LatiosXT wrote:
I had a computer with two GTX 560 TI's and it didn't eat up anymore than 330W off the wall. 650W is actually still okay. I'm lead to believe while eXtreme's PSU calculator is very handy, the default setting isn't exactly "real world" because you almost never tax your system that much.

I think they shade towards the more is better side on their calculations.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget mid-level gaming pc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:02 pm
Posts: 11
@ Latios:

Thanks. The whole topic of PSU selection is confusing to me, as the manufacturers don't seem to follow a global standard in their wattage ratings, and the fact that it's really amperage we should be concerned about, not so much wattage. Looks to me like following the eXtreme calculator's recommendations will ensure a more than big enough PSU for the build, but won't ensure efficiency. In the case of my own build I know that I won't SLI any time soon, if ever, and a quality 650w PSU is probably more than sufficient. But there is still a consideration for using a 750w unit just to be sure that I won't have to replace it if I should go SLI. I'll probably go with a Corsair or SeaSonic mid-level 650w unit.

This is fascinating stuff. Glad you guys are here. BTW, I've been a MaxPC mag subscriber for several years. The Dream Machine 2013 piece cracked me up.

Frank


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group