Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Mobo, old OS, no HDD *solved*
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:30 pm 

I'm rebuilding a 7 year old computer for a friend that had a bad motherboard.

It now has:
Asus sabertooth x79 with an i7 chip, with 2 x 2 gig ddr3 crucial memory sticks.
Reusing the HDDs, 3 serial WDs, the boot drive is a Velociraptor 150G and the others are 250gig.

I'm trying to run Win XP on it, is this a fundamental issues of incompatibility of the Mobo and XP?

Forgive me I am not sitting in front of the computer so I am going to try to be as specific as possible.

My issue is the computer won't see or access any drive formatted with Win XP. Even if I try to use the Win XP sp3 disk to install the OS it blue screens as soon as it looks for the drive and says the drive is not accessible. (I'll verify this ASAP and get the actual stop error code). If I try to boot to the drive I get a "NTLDR is missing" error.

The bios will see all the drives, although it seems to only let me pick certain ones to use in the boot up sequence. i.e. I can only select the optical drive and Velociraptor drives to pick the boot order. Not sure why.

I can use a Win 7 disk to format drives and install the OS (on one of the 250gigs), however I can not fully install as the license is already being used on another computer and it's only an upgrade version of 7 (which needs an existing OS installed to upgrade from vs just having the disk of the OS being upgraded)

I can boot with an Ubuntu live disk and that allows me to fully browse installed HDD's with no problem. I'd have to verify if it lets me access multiple HDD's, I'm thinking that was a problem.

The other catch is my friend really likes Win XP and has important information on the drive and has little or no interest in upgrading the OS (that part kills me!)

I'm thinking this is a simple incompatibility issue but I don't know for sure and if so, is there a work around?

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by Walby on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Mobo, old OS, no HDD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Make sure the SATA drives are set for IDE mode.

Also just something since I noticed it, you're running an X79 board with two RAM sticks, you should be populating it with four (though I don't know if the chipset actually cares)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:25 pm 

I'll check on that, that is a bios setting I assume.

I just recently built another computer with the same chip, Mobo and memory except it was 2 sticks of 4gig each. Ran great. The memory sticks are in the slots recommended in the manual.

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

There is a limit that the 32 bit XP OS can see in gigabytes, this includes hard drives and ram, don't remember.... 2 gigs for hard drives and 3.3 for ram.... but it appears your extra drives are to big for it to see along with all the ram.

Does the motherboard have chipset drivers for XP?

During the XP install are you hitting the F6 key to add the SATA drivers, if not XP won't see the drives. You add the drivers via a thumb drive or floppy drive. Do you have AHCI enabled in the bios along with SATA? IDE will work for your Raptor drive but not the large drives.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 am 

LatiosXT's suggestion of switch the drives to IDE in the BIOS was the answer.

Thank you very much LatiosXT and Nasty.