Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Upgrade help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:11 pm 

Basically I've been getting pretty hyped about Star Citizen. If you haven't heard of it and you're a space sim fan I definitely suggest looking it up because it looks amazing. A lot of what their boasting is about the visual fidelity of the game, it runs on Cry-engine 3 and the average poly count of a character is around 100,000 faces. I don't know a lot about computer graphics but i've been told the average poly count for a character in a modern game is around 10,000. You probably know more about this than I do, so you get it. Basically I realized that my pre-built HP with a Radeon HD 6850 isn't really going to cut it if I want to get the most out of this game, so I decided it was about time to upgrade anyway. I've been wanting to build my own computer for a while, but when I bought this computer I was only 14 so you can understand why I decided just to go with a prebuilt rather than building my own. Yes, I realize it really isn't that hard but my parents were paying for it and I really did not want to screw it up. Anyway enough of the back-story lets get into the details.

To start I decided to go with the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, it seems to be basically anything I would want in a case, with plenty of room/cooling for future upgrades, but if you have any comments I'd love to know.

EDIT: So I decided I'm going to stick with the Phenom x6 currently in my computer, and for now just stick with my motherboard. In the spoiler is the part that was edited out if you want to see it.

Spoiler: show
What I would like to know now is where to start. I don't think i'll be able to buy it all at once but instead plan to gradually upgrade it over the next ~10 months for when the Star Citizen beta is planned to come out. I have an HP Pavillion HPE with a Phenom x6 1065 processor at 2.9ghz with 6 cores. This is where I get my first question. I need to get an idea of about where this processor fits on the scale of speed, so I can decide whether I can afford/need to upgrade it. What would help most is if you could give me an idea of which graphics card best matches this processor on the scale of speed. (so what is the fastest graphics card you would put in with this CPU?) Also comment on wether you think this CPU is up to Star Citizen if you know anything about the game.

With that figured out next I need to know which motherboard to go with. After some minimal research(mostly ratings on newegg) I found the GIGABITE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 (that is assuming i'll be recycling my Phenom) Any thoughts? Should I be going for a higher priced board?

Finally the power supply, I really prefer to have a modulated one like the Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M 750W as i'd like to keep my case as clean as possible for maximum airflow.

This is basically where I plan to start, thinking it would be good to setup a good base to work off in the future, I also plan to upgrade to a high end GPU, and add some more ram. If you think I should start somewhere else also please let me know. If you're wondering why i put in such a long explanation for such a simple couple of questions, in the future when I continue this upgrade I plan on just recycling this post with new info and that way its all consolidated in one place and I don't have to keep retying/re posting.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Tylerr on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: PC Upgrade help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If we were to take this list seriously, then the X6 is still a pretty good processor. But honestly, I would just start with a high-end GPU first than upgrading the motherboard (which by the way, may incur a Windows reactivation... which I haven't done) as most games are limited by the GPU, not the CPU.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
If we were to take this list seriously, then the X6 is still a pretty good processor. But honestly, I would just start with a high-end GPU first than upgrading the motherboard (which by the way, may incur a Windows reactivation... which I haven't done) as most games are limited by the GPU, not the CPU.

Well I plan to sort of stagger my build as I can't really afford to upgrade it all at once and also because I don't need it all yet. So my thought process was to replace all the crappy generic parts of the prebuilt HP to get a base to work off of in the future. That said I think its probably a good idea to hold off on the motherboard and just wait until I'm ready to dish out the money for a quality Intel since i think Intel is probably the way ill head in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Then why not save your money entirely?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Then why not save your money entirely?

I'm confused about what you are referencing specifically, if its about the CPU, if you think the CPU won't bottle-neck a high end graphics card then I would definitely save the money, but looking at other posts on the site it seems the x6 isn't really that level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You basically need to have a lower end dual core before that happens on higher end cards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:49 pm 

All right, sounds good to me! Saves quite a bit of money too. How important would you say the motherboard is to upgrade? Should i just use the stock crappy one till I NEED a new one? or upgrade it when I get the chance?

EDIT: Can you just check to make sure the mobo I have is fine, I think it is but better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Motherboards don't differ much in performance regardless of price. The only difference is the interfaces the hardware plugs into, from which I can see is PCI-Express 2.0 and DDR3. This is still pretty good for modern hardware, and video cards don't start choking in performance on PCI-Express interface until about 2.0 x4.