Post subject: computer has become quite unstable
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 am 

My current set up is as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x 6 1100T OC'd to 3.7GHz
Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ socket
BIOS: v6.00PG
RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Sniper series @ 1600MHz
VGA: Refurbished EVGA GTX 560 Ti OC
HDD: (Win7)300GB boot, 1TB storage; (Fedora 17)60GB SSD boot, 1TB storage(not the same one as windows)
PSU: OCZ ZX series 1250W fully modular
Case: NZXT Switch 810

I have had the majority of these parts in the same set up for a good part of 2 years(the current VGA and case were a bit newer, but the win7 hard drives have seen about 2 more years than the rest of the system). When I swapped out the computer save for the win7 hard drives, I did not do a clean install and things seemed to run fine.

The machine continued to run fine and quite well for quite some time after(for a good year and a half), and some instability started to show up. Sometimes the machine would power on, but refuse to post, boot, or both; other times, the machine would boot, get to either Fedora or Windows, work fine for about half an hour or more, then without any prior indication freeze and force a hard reboot. This would happen sporadically, but I thought I fixed it about a month ago.

Then last night/today they have come back with a vengeance. Within the past 3 hours, I have had the machine on for a total of about 1 hour, tops. I have an inkling that this is either a motherboard issue(from my searches in the forums to find this{the first post by kleinkinstein}), or a PSU issue, since this happens both to Windows and Fedora, I highly doubt the OS has any real say in this. Should I look at my ram sticks or CPU as well? Or should I put my money on PSU and/or motherboard?

Edit:
missed a closing parenthesis....

Last edited by Echilon on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: computer has become quite unstable
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Have you tried clocking the CPU to its stock speed? Or

Running with half the RAM if it freezes again swap out for the other half, if it is the RAM this could be a good way to troubleshoot it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Try running a round of Memtest. If that fails hard (the hardware goes "nope, I'm done), then I'd move on to replacing the PSU.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:17 pm 

I will try both suggestions, assuming that I can keep the computer from freezing long enough to change the OC and/or run the memtest. Will report back with results(insert favorite pic of "OP will deliver" here)

EDIT:
Also, sometimes the computer will just shut itself off without any prior indication either... experienced this when I went to change the CPU back to stock clocks(and not this once, either).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You said in your first post to relate to another post you made...in it you stated you changed video cards, did you uninstall the old driver, delete the video driver folder, run ccleaners registry cleaner then reboot the system, cancel both popups and add the new driver...then reboot? Nice run-on sentence huh? LOL!

You were very lucky to get the raid to run at all on the new motherboard. A raid chip is much better to run raid on then software raid! :shock: Did you uninstall the old chipset and raid drivers, then add the new drivers?

I think your problems right now are self inflicted by not following procedure when building a new upgrade or machine.

You really should load windows from scratch in a new machine.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm 

I did uninstall the old drivers, used driver cleaner and ccleaner, then reinstalled the new drivers for the graphics card. When I changed out the mobo, I installed the drivers that came with the board, though I don't believe I removed the old mobo's drivers. Would that be part of the issue...?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

Update: I have removed two of the RAM sticks, and tried to boot the machine, however, it shut itself off before I could do anything. It is getting to the point where the machine is refusing to even turn on... Also I forgot to mention that I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooling the CPU, so one of the RAM sticks I can't get to without taking off the Hyper 212.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'm just going to say it's the PSU. Thankfully with your build, you don't need anymore than about 600W-650W.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm 

Okay, I can't really test if it's the PSU at fault or not, as I do not have a spare one lying around... I will see if my fiancee will let me borrow hers to test this out(if she has a big enough power supply). I will update when I can, and hopefully be able to give a (relatively)good conclusion...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm 

UPDATE: I was able to borrow my fiancee's power supply(an 800W). It ran quite well, as I put it through a memtest and ran both Unity Heaven and 3DMark11 on the machine with no freezing or unintended shutdowns. However, memtest did catch one error while on test 8 (about 45 minutes into the test). I ran this with all 4 sticks of RAM in, so I do not know which one is the culprit. Should I try to isolate that RAM stick to RMA, or should I not worry about it...? So to clarify, this mean that I should get me a new power supply, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Memory isn't perfect, it's only when memtest starts dumping errors should you worry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would test one stick at a time of the four suspect and replace the bad stick.

Nasty