Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD Advice...older system, newer SSD...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok I got the following system...

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
i7 950 way overclocked
24Gb OCZ DDR3 (Was cheap like dirt when the system was first built)
SLI'ed GTS 450 video cards
etc. etc. etc.
250Gb Seagate Barracuda 7,200RPM boot drive...

Question is, place locally has a decent sale on a Kingston HyperX 3K Sandforce 2281 240Gb SSD upgrade bundle, now the upgrade bundle is appealing to me saving the pain of a reinstall and will allow for easy migration. Question is....any good or bad against Kingston on this series of drives ? I know to stay the bleep away from the SSD Now V200 ones...but is the HyperX reliable and would it be a good fit somewhat for the non-native SATA 3 port on the motherboard ?

I just think I can get more performance out of the aging system with a simple SSD upgrade (GPUs...to be upgraded...one of these days)...just want something that'll last so to speak...and yeah, the system runs 24/7

Thanks for the advice in advance.

nbrowser

Post subject: Re: SSD Advice...older system, newer SSD...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

How much is it? Samsung 840s go for about $180 for 250GB. And even if you don't get an upgrade bundle, there are ways to clone the drive and migrate everything over without reinstalling.

If you want an opinion on another way about this, I would get a 120/128GB SSD. While I've heard 250GB has become the new sweet spot, I haven't found much of a reason to migrate everything to an SSD at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

It's $225 locally, I lack the ability to online shop and do kinda like to support the local NCIX store (Vancouver area of B.C. Canada). It'd directly replace a 250Gb platter drive that currently has 150Gb of applications etc. on it. Does come with the migration software, plus Kingston does have a rep when it slaps the HyperX mark on something (have a few systems with HyperX memory...always works wonderfully)

Just would like to trim down the incredible boot time as this machine loads all the stuff to make it run and utilize all the bells and whistles...yeah...high strung with tons of hardware gaming rig going on 4 years of dependable service.

EDIT...closest NCIX retail store has stock of the MUCH better than Kingston 840 Pro 256 instock $270 and they do have a price match policy and will match or beat newegg.ca which has it on sale for $250...a new twist...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 am 

my two cents nothing speeds up your boot time like a new ssd and a fresh windows install.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Yeah I know a fresh install is preferred, however with all the registry hacks and tweaks to the OS as a whole....redoing them would take ages (Windows 7 Professional x64). Migration is in my case, the most sensible thing to do...

Now which SSD to get... HyperX 3K or 840 Pro...the saga...continues !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

And now a 3rd contender....the Intel 335 240Gb SSD....$200 locally with the desktop upgrade kit...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Intel and Samsung are the two most recommended brands... at least on that image board that won't be named.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, after scouring forums, websites etc. seeing that support for us Canucks for Samsung SSDs was virtually non-existant, I went and picked up the Intel 335 240Gb, got it home, hooked up and installed the migration software to see it bomb ! Whatever I did it just wouldn't get past the the reboot stage to start the process, found a nifty gem called Macrium Reflect which did an amazing clone job, and this piece of software was free and was painless.

Granted the SSD is connected to a SATA2 port, my horrendous 7.5 minute boot time has dropped to a more reasonable 25 seconds from when Starting Windows appears. I is happy and promptly affixed the Intel Speed Demon decal to the case of the PC...my likey !