Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Advice on UpGrading my old gaming rig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:39 am 

I built this computer several years ago and to be honest it is still going strong though the newest games i can no longer play at max settings. I am looking at upgrading what I already have by adding a second identical video card, a extra 8 gigs of ram and if able a CPU upgrade. Do you think this would help? I always play at 1080 / 1950 resolutions and watch HD movies as well as have fun making things on Maya.

Any and all advice is appreciated :)

My current build is as fallows.

Thermaltake Element G chassis <the slightly older one ware the hard drive bay faces out and can be pulled out>
Super Writemaster <generic i think, but works great>
cooler master RS-750-ACAA-A1 PS
Cooler Master CPU Cooler < Big ass thing>
Asus M4a89GTD-PRO/usb3 MotherBoard
8 gigs Dual channel Patriot Sector 5 Series 2250MHz Extreme Performance DDR3 Memory
AMD Phenom ll X4 955 Black Edition CPU
XFX Radeon HD 5870 XXX Video Card
WD 1TB Black <OS in here> HD
WD 2TD Green <use as storage> HD

Asus vw246h monitor
Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System
Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse <works great still if a bit short ranged>

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on UpGrading my old gaming rig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Isn't another 5870 worth it? I'm no expert on gfx cards but how would a single 7970 or 7950 compare with 2x5870s?

Aren't those 5000 series energy hogs?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:55 am 

phillyj wrote:
Isn't another 5870 worth it? I'm no expert on gfx cards but how would a single 7970 or 7950 compare with 2x5870s?

Aren't those 5000 series energy hogs?

From what iv read and reviews iv read the 5870 is every bit as good as the best of the 6800 series cards. in fact i think it was Maximum PC that said the 6870 was just a rebranded 5870 lol. Lastly from what i have seen there is not THAT big of a performance jump up to the 7 series cards from my 5870. I am really considuring the 5870 cuz i have found them as low as $150 and to be honest this sucker was $500 when i first got it. Energy hog wise im not to sure, im sure there are smarter people than I that can answer that one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Do you have an upgrade budget? That would help out greatly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Actually, a Radeon HD 7970 would equate to double the performance of the 5870. There's also the issue that AMD has horrible microstuttering, so even if you do get double the performance on two 5870's, you're going to perceive less than that. There's also the fact that the card probably has 1GB of memory, and depending on the game, you may get stuttering anyway.

As an example, I had a setup of two GeForce GTX 560 Ti's, both with 1GB of memory. Despite working really well in Skyrim maxed out, it would stutter a lot. When I swapped both for a GTX 670, which basically offered the same performance, there was practically no stuttering and the only difference was there was 2GB of memory. And before you ask, the memory on both cards do not combine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm 

phillyj wrote:
Do you have an upgrade budget? That would help out greatly

Figure about $700 if im going to upgrade

LatiosXT wrote:
Actually, a Radeon HD 7970 would equate to double the performance of the 5870. There's also the issue that AMD has horrible microstuttering, so even if you do get double the performance on two 5870's, you're going to perceive less than that. There's also the fact that the card probably has 1GB of memory, and depending on the game, you may get stuttering anyway .

I could see this in high rez applications but for mere 1080/1950 rez i just doint see that happening. Hell, my setup right now plays , admitting older, crysis 2 without any problems or stuttering. only in games like metro or crysis 3 have i seen any slowing down so for those games i usually have to go to high settings instead of ultra settings. The only game i have found my computer cant really do well at is SupreamCommander when it gets to close to max units but from what iv read thats almost anyones computer.

And yes, its is a 1gb card, with 2 though that will double.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Zureal wrote:
I could see this in high rez applications but for mere 1080/1950 rez i just doint see that happening. Hell, my setup right now plays , admitting older, crysis 2 without any problems or stuttering. only in games like metro or crysis 3 have i seen any slowing down so for those games i usually have to go to high settings instead of ultra settings. The only game i have found my computer cant really do well at is SupreamCommander when it gets to close to max units but from what iv read thats almost anyones computer.

And yes, its is a 1gb card, with 2 though that will double.

Depending on the game, how texture heavy it is, and other features for post-processing (AA, for one), even 1080p is enough to choke it.

Also you don't get 2GB with two 1GB cards. You only have 1GB available because both cards still need the same assets and they can't share.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Zureal wrote:
Depending on the game, how texture heavy it is, and other features for post-processing (AA, for one), even 1080p is enough to choke it.

Also you don't get 2GB with two 1GB cards. You only have 1GB available because both cards still need the same assets and they can't share.

Oh, wasent aware of that last part :/ hmm... I might have to really dish out for just a better card all together eh? Well if that is the case then what would u recomend for upgrades? And is there a better cpu or do i already have the best available for my socket? and what about more ram? Just trying to not spend to much right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If this is gaming, the bottleneck is usually the video card, so go upgrade that first.