Wow, a reply! Thanks for the feedback Mrmarrero!
Hey guys, I'm back again with some progress on the back panel. Originally I wasn't going to do much to it, but it quickly became clear it would be easier to just create a whole new panel, rather than trying to modify the stock one.
Here's a pic I took a while ago, cutting the stock rear panel away. I think I did this just prior to working on the suicide door and hinges.
Using 1/8" acrylic sheet, I made the center piece along with two vertical pieces, a top mounting piece, and a curved piece on the bottom. Here I'm gluing the two vertical pieces at an angle to match up with the side panels.
I made a couple fan mounts out of 1/4" acrylic that also serve as cross braces to give the panel some rigidity.
Trying the panel on the case, checking for fit and marking positions for fans, fillport, and the new IO panel.
Back panel trimmed, glued, reinforced, and fans mounted.
For the fillport, I was going to do something like those flip-up fuel doors on Dodge Daytonas, but I thought a hide-away system would be more appropriate for a custom rod theme. So I drew up a quick model in Sketchup...
The lid will continue the design of the top panel, with the aluminum bars ending in a half circle. Custom hinges will allow the lid to raise up over the bars on the top panel, revealing the fillport underneath.
I grabbed some pieces of acrylic from my scrap bin and started making the pieces for the base.
When assembled, they will stack up like this:
And top view:
Using acrylic cement, I started gluing the pieces up.
While that was setting up, I proceeded to make the lid, cutting the mesh, trim ring, and bending the aluminum bars.
I'm thinking I will use my alumiweld brazing rods to solder the bars to the mesh, rather than tapping/screwing them from underneath. Either way, they will look like this when done:
Preparing the back panel for the fillport...
Fillport set in place for a test fit..
..and with lid.
Now I have to tackle the hinges next. Looks like I'll have to modify the design a bit to accommodate the mesh, but that shouldn't take too long.
Thanks for reading, 'til next time!