Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Review idea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

How about reviewing cpu's and motherboards that don't have built-in graphics. The current crop of built-ins leave a lot to be desired as far as gaming graphics are concerned. I don't even want to bring up graphic design/CAD/CAM/etc.
So until they can give me a cpu with graphic capability equal to at least today's EVGA 660, I'll just skip chips/motherboards with built-in.
So, how about it? What's hot in non-built-in graphics cpu's and motherboards these days?

Post subject: Re: Review idea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

AMD systems and Intel's X79 platform. Which pretty much kills off about 40%-50% of the products you could be reviewing.

I don't see what the problem is though. "That die space could've been used for more cores!" Okay. But on the flipside I could tell all these software developers to you know, actually use the iGPU as a compute accelerator because that was pretty much the original intent of heterogeneous processors. The fact that Intel's iGPUs stopped sucking royally was just a plus. If you want to say they still royally suck, Intel's recent iGPUs basically "obsoleted" the sub $100 video card market. In fact. I found in the laptops area, anything less than a GeForce GT 630M or equivalent (Radeon HD 7750M or something?) is a waste of money if you didn't go with a laptop with just an Intel HD 4000, because anything lower performs on par or worse. And often times the discrete adds cost.

And there's no point in excluding motherboards because an iGPU on them (which is mostly AMD's shtick now) is just an extra feature that's not part of the chipset die and usually targeted to more budget oriented customers anyway.