Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 4 player coop w/o steam?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

Does anyone know of some bona fide PC 4 player coop games (ie:coop single player campaign or coop campaign, not team deathmatch) out there that are worth playing? I've done some experimenting with the website CoOptimus but it is rather bloated and console-focused.

Right now all I've found are Borderlands 1 and Project Eden (of all things).

Post subject: Re: 4 player coop w/o steam?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Sure. Practically all hack and slash games you can play with as many people as you want. Other than that, the only one I know of that's good is Saints Row: The Third. Now there's a question of whether or not these can be found without Steam? Modern games probably not. Besides, Steam makes it a bit easier because you don't usually have to deal with network settings and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 pm 

All of my games are played on the LAN, which makes it kind of awkward when I have to send all my data to Steam just so it can go the 3' to the other computer. I'm no Steam fan myself but I use it out of necessity and because it is the lesser of all the DRM evils out there. Since so much uses Steam I don't think that there'll be many games that fit the no-steam bill but I'm interested in finding as many of the few that do as I can.

The main issue against Steam is that one of my coop bros hates it with a passion and will not install it. I have Borderlands 1 on Steam but he uses the non-Steam disc version. This version has SecuROM and he doesn't care that he's willingly infected his PC with that rot. I cannot convince him that Steam is better than Securom as Securom is invisible to the end user while Steam is not. Sadly, even on Steam (which otherwise removed Securom) the first 2 DLCs have SecuROM. I will not play them because I'll have to activate that crap on my PC and I refuse.

I'm not well versed in Hack-'n-Slash games. I have Torchlight 2 but due to Steam that's out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well anyway, here's what you can do. Go on Co-optimus's database and filter by players (at least 4) and add a filter for co-op campaign. Then have fun there.

I wish you luck for non-Steam games. Chances are if they're from a big publisher, they're going to use DRM like SecureROM anyway. If it's an older game, then you have to cross your fingers that it works on Windows NT 6, especially in the early 2000s if you go that early. They are hokey with anything that isn't Windows XP or below.

As for your friend, if I were you, I'd tell him he can sit out until he installs it. Or you all can go get consoles because those are his only two options, and one of them only affects him.

Well, if he's really super paranoid anal, you can also tell him to setup Sandboxie and run Steam in a sandbox (of course, have fun configuring everything).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 pm 

The trouble with cooptimus is that they have bogus search results like Civilization. While some RTS games, like Age of Kings, have bona fide coop modes they are just the ye-ole deathmatch style maps instead of the campaign. I don't believe that an RTS can have what I'm looking for. Same with Mechwarrior 4. That game is a free classic but I don't know of any coop campaign mode.

We used to game on consoles but I just can't do it any more as the poor graphics and long load times drive me nuts now that I've gamed on PC. Also many of those games require Xbox Live for multiplayer and we've had issues with 4 people on XBL on one FiOS connection before.

Sadly, GOG, the "DRM-free gaming site", is mostly loaded with single player games or games with unworkable multiplayer (like Two Worlds).

I'm hoping that I'll make progress with getting my coop bro to adopt Steam but I doubt that I will. He's the only person in our playgroup who liked Half Life 2 and yet he is also the only one to dislike Steam. I find that interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

vrmlbasic wrote:
The trouble with cooptimus is that they have bogus search results like Civilization. While some RTS games, like Age of Kings, have bona fide coop modes they are just the ye-ole deathmatch style maps instead of the campaign. I don't believe that an RTS can have what I'm looking for. Same with Mechwarrior 4. That game is a free classic but I don't know of any coop campaign mode.

Have you actually tried the "Co-op Campaign" filter? Because I just went through a few pages of it and none of them look like they're doing it for deathmatch style. And while it did pick up Civilization 5, it only picked up Brave New World which I'm guessing has a scenario or two with fixed teams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 pm 

I did use the co-op campaign filter and even so I still got a few results that were bogus. Thanks for the link though.

Only a few of the games in there are available off of Steam but the search continues. Steam is PC gaming :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well, like it or not, Steam has pretty much saved PC gaming. Indie developers wouldn't have a place to go that wouldn't shaft them and we'd have draconian DRM out the ass. Amazing sales notwithstanding.