Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking to secure my privacy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:33 pm 

I have been thinking about my privacy and how private and secure all my data and communications really is. Snowden and NSA has really exposed how open our data and private information really is, not that I or most people have something to hide but do I really want the government ready my steamy texts to my significant other?
So the question is how do you protect yourself? Obviously a typewriter and the post office can at least protect your content, even if the government knows when and who you sent the letter to.
Basically my communications devices are:
Phone – phone calls, text messages and emails
Computer – emails and instant messaging
Sorry for putting all these questions in one post, but they are all connected to the main question how do you protect yourself.
For my cell phone, I am using Tigertext secure texting for all my text messages, which auto delete the messages and allow me to do a remote wipe. For my photos, I immediately move the images to my dropbox account and delete them from the phone.
So, the phone security questions I have are:
1) How do I protect my contacts, meaning is I lose my phone how can I make it so someone who hacks the phone isn’t able to get them get them? What about my call logs?
2) can someone hack my phone while I am using it, and get my contacts, call logs and other stuff, and if so how can I prevent this from happening?
3) What about my emails, can I secure them as well like my text messages?
For my computer, I am using ZoneAlarms firewall, and Malwarebytes anti virus. I have lots of images and documents on my computer.
My computer security questions are:
1) How can I secure my email – I use gmail and yahoo, but don’t use outlook.
2) Are my images and doc more secure on my computer, or in the cloud on Dropbox or another cloud service?
3) Can my Skype messaging and conversation be recorded or logs by our government or anyone else, and is there a way to protect them?
Any advice or suggestion on these questions would be a great help, thanx.

Post subject: Re: Looking to secure my privacy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want to secure your privacy, the best way to do it is go off the grid as much as possible. It's impossible to completely escape the grid once you've entrenched yourself in it, but otherwise, you can take measures to get off it.

In any case, Android does have a phone encryption feature, but this only works if the phone is powered off and someone tries to get into your data. But there's no way, as far as I know, of locking away your contacts and text messages. In any case, you can follow whatever's in https://itservices.stanford.edu/service ... ar/android . And I'm sure other devices have similar features. If you have a "dumbphone", you're pretty much out of luck. If you really want to be safe, then find another way to store your contacts. As for hacking, if your phone is connected to any sort of IP network, then yes, it can be hacked, regardless. If you want to prevent that from happening, you'll have to disable it from getting data. If you have a smart phone, well, then your smart phone an expensive "dumbphone"

If you're paranoid about your emails, then the best way account wise to secure it is using a two-step authentication system. This requires you to enter a password and randomly generated code that you get from an app or something from the provider. As far as protecting the contents? Short of encrypting it and letting your contacts know how to decrypt it, you're at the mercy of the provider.

But reading down further, here's the thing. If a hacker has targeted, you're going to to get hacked. There's no 100% guarantee of way of someone not being able to get into your stuff, especially with available products. Even if you create the communication protocols and you knew what you were doing, there's still no guarantee you're safe. The only way you'll ever be safe from a hacker is to not have a computer hooked up to a network at all and never let someone have physical access to your computer.. If you want to be safe on the internet, then be weary of what you say, who you deal with, and where you go. If you're going to be a total asshat or jokingly making terrorist threats, then yes, someone is going to come after you eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

AHMFIC wrote:
I have been thinking about my privacy and how private and secure all my data and communications really is. Snowden and NSA has really exposed how open our data and private information really is, not that I or most people have something to hide but do I really want the government ready my steamy texts to my significant other?
So the question is how do you protect yourself? Obviously a typewriter and the post office can at least protect your content, even if the government knows when and who you sent the letter to.
Basically my communications devices are:
Phone – phone calls, text messages and emails
Computer – emails and instant messaging
Sorry for putting all these questions in one post, but they are all connected to the main question how do you protect yourself.
For my cell phone, I am using Tigertext secure texting for all my text messages, which auto delete the messages and allow me to do a remote wipe. For my photos, I immediately move the images to my dropbox account and delete them from the phone.
So, the phone security questions I have are:
1) How do I protect my contacts, meaning is I lose my phone how can I make it so someone who hacks the phone isn’t able to get them get them? What about my call logs?
2) can someone hack my phone while I am using it, and get my contacts, call logs and other stuff, and if so how can I prevent this from happening?
3) What about my emails, can I secure them as well like my text messages?
For my computer, I am using ZoneAlarms firewall, and Malwarebytes anti virus. I have lots of images and documents on my computer.
My computer security questions are:
1) How can I secure my email – I use gmail and yahoo, but don’t use outlook.
2) Are my images and doc more secure on my computer, or in the cloud on Dropbox or another cloud service?
3) Can my Skype messaging and conversation be recorded or logs by our government or anyone else, and is there a way to protect them?
Any advice or suggestion on these questions would be a great help, thanx.

I can't answer your phone questions, because I don't own a cell phone.

As far as the computer questions, first take a look here: https://prism-break.org/

1) Gmail and Yahoo Mail are just two email systems monitored by Uncle Sam's PRISM program. I'm switching to mail.com soon simply because Yahoo sucks and Mail.com is off the radar. I have also read recently that any encrypted email and/or encrypted file attachments - no matter which site you use - gets red-flagged and saved for analysis. UPDATE August 8: Tormail is gone, and the Tor Browser Bundle was compromised by an NSA-written Java exploit. An update plugged this security leak after June 26, but many no longer feel Tor is trustworthy.

2) I know others will call me nuts, but I don't care. The only cloud storage I use is ImageShack, where I store images for forums which are deliberately posted for public viewing. I sleep easy at night by saving anything private that's worthwhile locally on my own computer in TrueCrypt file containers, with tough, letter-and-number, committed-to-memory passwords, and three-level cascading encryption algorithms. Some of the file containers have data, some have hidden partitions... some of them are empty. I'm not talking pr0n. I'm talking about medical info, tax data, credit card records, etc. My encrypted file containers are backed up on a spindle of DVD+RWs I can easily grab in case the house catches fire.

3) From what I have read about PRISM, Skype was compromised/opened to Uncle Sam the day Microsoft bought it. The only really secure messaging systems I know of are Pidgin with OTR, and TorChat. But for how long?

The government kept telling us to take security seriously. Well, I'm taking their advice.

Last edited by OvenMaster on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:38 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Here's some more gasoline on the fire:
FBI pressures Internet providers to install surveillance software: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57596 ... -software/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:05 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

And here's more. They even shut Tormail down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Mail