Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Final topic - SLI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

As mentioned in a previous thread I was preparing for my next build and wanted to try somethings I haven't done before, including SLI.

A little background: I currently have a 670 gtx and was planning on purchasing a second. Since I would be pulling out the 670 from my current build I was going to replace it with another graphics card. But when I evaluated the 760 gtx I realized it ran right behind the 670. Why not get 2 760s and leave the 670 in my current build (or swap it into a relative's computer)?

I only mention this in case someone strongly feels this is the wrong move. Otherwise, I'll move onto my main questions:

• When review motherboards, all I see is a single GPU at x16; 2 at x8 x8. Are there 1150 boards that support x16 x16 for SLI, or is that a pipe dream?
  • Since I've never done it, is SLI something you have to switch on/off depending on your intent? For example, if I'm just surfing the web do I have to turn off SLI and when I'm ready to game I turn it on?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: Final topic - SLI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Quote:
When review motherboards, all I see is a single GPU at x16; 2 at x8 x8. Are there 1150 boards that support x16 x16 for SLI, or is that a pipe dream?

In Intel's case, because the primary PCI-Express controller is in the processor package and at the moment, Haswell only supports 16 PCI-Express lanes for graphics, it's a pipe dream to get full 16 lanes per card. Motherboard makers can get three-way or four-way SLI by using a customized chipset that allows for more PCI-Express lanes, but as you may know, these run in the $250+ category. However, there's no problem here as even the GTX 680 is does not see significant performance losses until you put it in a PCI-Express 1.1 x8/PCI-Express 2.0 x4 slot. Are there performance losses at higher speeds? Sure, but not enough to care about unless you're itching for the fastest benchmark scores.

And for the sauce: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inte ... s_Scaling/
Quote:
Since I've never done it, is SLI something you have to switch on/off depending on your intent? For example, if I'm just surfing the web do I have to turn off SLI and when I'm ready to game I turn it on?

SLI is always on, but the other graphics card just goes to a lower power state if it's not being used.

So anyway, I'm going to throw things off here and offer my two cents after using a multi-graphics card setup for a year and a half. After doing it, I won't do it again for several reasons:
  • Given that I only game on one 1920x1200 monitor and even modern midrange graphics cards can run games at maximum settings at 60FPS (or at least "smooth"), there's no point in getting more performance than necessary. I should only get what I think will last me for a while (two years, give or take).
  • I'd only consider multi-card setups if they have a good price/performance ratio over what's better to it currently. In my case, I bought two GTX 560 Ti's because they were better than a GTX 580 and cost less.
  • Multi-card setups obviously chew through more power both idling and under a load, but this may or may not be a concern. There's also the issue with temperature.
  • One problem I also find is that it's harder to get rid of two cards than one, unless you happen to know people who are willing to take your obsolete hardware... But that might not be too hard for those who think PC gaming is expensive and want in on the action.
  • I've also noticed there are subtleties too. For instance, I took out the GTX 560 Ti's and put in a GTX 670. I noticed in some games, notably Skyrim, it stopped stuttering, even though both setups are more or less equal in performance (maybe more VRAM in the GTX 670 stopped a bunch of texture swapping or something?)
  • And another heavy hitting reason: say I bought two $300 cards for performance... Except I could spend $400 on a decent card, pocket the $200, and within a year or so when the next big thing comes out, upgrade to something that would perform about the same or faster as the $600 setup for the same price if not less.

But it's up to you. To me this is really a game of patience and gambling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I agree 100% with what LatiosXT said. His advice is almost always spot on. I've never been a proponent of SLI, but I ended up with an SLI set-up on my current build. I think my situation is one of the only times running two cards is warranted. I was running a GTX 670 on a 1920 x 1200 monitor just fine, then I bought a 2560 x 1600 monitor and the 670 didn't cut it anymore. I suppose I could have gone out and dropped a bunch of cash on a flagship GPU, but it made more fiscal sense to pick up a second 670 and call it a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Again, excellent advice. After further consideration, I'm sticking with my current 670 and adding a second. That shaves $200 off the price tag.

Quote:
And for the sauce: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inte ... s_Scaling/

Very interesting article. I haven't read all whole thing but I had no idea you could tape up part of the connection and the card would still work, much less mimic x1, x4 speeds.