Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Random freeze up
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:58 pm 

I have a problem similar to repoman's issue of several months ago ( computer looping randomly ). Mine is somewhat different - occasionally it freezes for 2-3 seconds, then returned to normal. Most of the time, it is just stuck and I have to do a hard restart, along with the message about Windows not shutting down normally. My system is as follows:

AMD 4300 Vishera CPU
ASUS M597 R2.0 mobo
8 gigs Kingston DDR3 ram ( clocked at DDR1333)
Western Digital 500 GB HDD
GeForce GTX 550TI GPU
Lite-On SATA DVD burner
ASUS Xonar D1 soundcard
Antec HE500 500 watt PSU ( 6 1/2 years old )
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

The HDD, with Windows 7 already installed, the GPU and the PSU were taken from my previous computer and put into a Corsair Carbide 300 case, along with the other components listed above. All drivers from the previous mobo were removed before installing on the new mobo, as well as upgrading the remaining drivers to the latest version. Windows 7 was NOT reinstalled after transferring the HDD to the new mobo. Yea, I know I should have, but I had upgraded to Win 7 only a short time ago and was hoping to avoid a complete installation

There is no pattern to these freeze up's at all. Windows Event viewer shows nothing upon rebooting except for rebooting start-up sequence. My son-in-law, who is an IT guy at the US Attny's office here, said that to him, it sounds hardware related and not software or OS related. I am going to run memtest86 to see if I have a bad stick of RAM, although the UEFI BIOS shows the RAM running normal. Nothing in my system if overclocked and case and CPU temps appear normal. Should my PSU be the next thing to look at or have I got a defective mobo? HELP anyone!!

Post subject: Re: Random freeze up
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

csjag wrote:
.... All drivers from the previous mobo were removed before installing on the new mobo, as well as upgrading the remaining drivers to the latest version. Windows 7 was NOT reinstalled after transferring the HDD to the new mobo. Yea, I know I should have, but I had upgraded to Win 7 only a short time ago and was hoping to avoid a complete installation....

No yellow/red flags in Device Manager?

No Problem Devices listed in System Information under the Component tab?

Back up an image of your drive, then scan the system files for problems. If that doesn't work perform a non-destructive OS repair install.

If that fails then maybe it really is a hardware problem. I'd perform a CMOS reset (per your service or MB manual) before doing anything else at that point.

How often does this occur per day? Any way to reliably trigger it?

Install HWMonitor and look at the readings at idle and then under load.

If it happens within 2 hours of use reliably then boot up Ubuntu or Mint ("LiveCD") and run it in memory playing around with it (after all its a test drive) for a couple of hours. No freezes = OS, driver, startup app or boot drive responsible. Runing Windows in Safe Mode would rule out many drivers and startups. Freeze still = hardware. Test boot drive with mfg. diag app (WD DLD).

Next step would be an external minimal build to rule out parts and hopefully rule in parts. Need to know what other parts you have available to swap test and any compatible PC you may have to test bed suspect parts? Also, do you have a volt-olm meter?

Last edited by FascistNation on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I would start with a clean fresh install of your OS, there are things that windows installs that you cannot remove based on what it sees at a hardware level in the BIOS, (Sleeps states, ACPI settings etc) that just dont play well from one system to another.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

nsvander wrote:
I would start with a clean fresh install of your OS,....

That is the best advice of all but OP doesn't want to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

FascistNation wrote:
nsvander wrote:

Problem is with out a clean install we could be chasing some minute registry conflict or some single file that doesn't like his new build forever and spend more time trying to track it down, then it would to do a clean install.

New system, new install of windows, its just something that has to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well there's only one thing you can do: Remove hardware until the bare minimum is achieved and see if the problem persists. If not, add hardware one by one until the issue comes up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am 

FascistNation wrote:
nsvander wrote:

I'm not opposed to a clean install if that would fix my issue. I'm just not convinced that it is an OS problem. Concerning the registry, I've run 2 different registry cleaners and both report everything up to date with no issues to fix. All item in Device Manager show to functioning normally.

One thing just came to mind : once while streaming an audio file from the internet, the system froze and the note that was playing at that moment kept playing - just like when digital TV freezes the image on the screen. Don't know if that would help, just thought about it and would throw it into the mix.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I wasn't going to mention it since it might've been an extreme edge case, but I used to have a PCI based SoundBlaster X-Fi card that if I did ANYTHING to it physically, it'd lock up the computer randomly. And I was suspecting it because it would only happen if touched it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
I wasn't going to mention it since it might've been an extreme edge case, but I used to have a PCI based SoundBlaster X-Fi card that if I did ANYTHING to it physically, it'd lock up the computer randomly. And I was suspecting it because it would only happen if touched it.

Interesting thought, being as my ASUS Zonar is a PCI Card. I do not believe that anything is touching it ( stray cable ,etc.), but i will check it out. I have a new PSU ordered and will be installing it this weekend. I did this for 2 reasons:

1. It ( Corsair 500 wt modular ) was on sale at Newegg and I could not resist.

2. My Antec, while appearing to be fine, is 7 years old and might be on the verge of giving up the ghost.

I figured, what the hell, let's just go for it. If nothing else, I can positively eliminate the PSU as a source of my problem. I will post back and let you know what happens. Appreciate the thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

To rule out the superb soundcard as LatiosXT suggested a minimal build, but in this case pull the card and run on onboard for a amount of time when the problem would be expected to crop up.

If you are convinced it is a hardware and not software issue then there is an easy test. Boot up a Live CD of Ubuntu or Mint and play around again an amount of time when the problem would be expected to crop up. The LiveCd runs from memory and does not touch the boot drive.

So, if the problem occurs = hardware, if the problem disappears = Windows OS, driver or startup app or boot drive issue.

Drivers and startup apps can be ruled out or in with safe mode and msconfig.

The boot drive examined with the diag app from the maker.

And after a backup is made, the OS repaired with SFC /scannow or if that fails a nondestructive repair re-install.

Hardware via the minimal build LatiosXT mentioned as well as using any spare parts that can be temporarily substituted or working systems that can act as a testbed for parts, and possibly a VOM to monitor PSU voltages under load, if available. You can install HWMonitor now to look at voltages (and all the other fascinating things reported by your system) both at idle and under load...it can be interesting but is only as accurate as the sensors built into your system.

I am curious how big is your case?

Ooops, looks like I already wasted my time commenting on this thread...my bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

Just installed Microsoft hotfix # kb2645594 for AMD Fx CPU's. AMD Global Support team suggested installing it before pursuing other hardware or software fixes. We'll see if it works.