Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Fiberglass Panel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kleinkinstein wrote:
This is modding together so nicely! This single panel being your first work in fiberglass has me flabbergasted. I sure hope you are posting your work elsewhere, where you'll get more eyeballs and attention on your work.

Thanks kleinkinstein. Thanks to the cold weather I had about 3 months to do my research on how to fiberglass. I spent a ton of time preparing the form to have a near-perfect surface because I knew any flaws would be transferred over to the fiberglass panel. So I think the extra time and attention there paid off in the end. I still have a lot of finish work to do, but it won't take very long to fill in the remaining imperfections and get it all smooth. :)

I do have my worklogs posted on other modding forums, so I might have a few other readers here and there. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Spent a good portion of the weekend cleaning up the side panel. I had to remove quite a bit of fiberglass and resin around the edges where the panel mates up with the case. Small oversight on my part, as I should have taped those areas off so I wouldn't glass over them. Ah well, a few extra hours of work and it now fits back on the case. I also exposed all the bubbles just under the surface so I could fill them in with more resin paste. I should be able to do some filling at some point this week, as it is supposed to be warmer.

along with the cleanup, I managed to make a mold of side scoop I made a few months ago. If you recall, I carved the shape out of foam, then covered it with bondo.

I prepped the scoop in the same way as the side panel form, sanding to 1000 grit, polishing compound, 4 coats of wax, 2 coats of PVA. I glued it down to the back side of the same aluminum sheet I had the side panel form on. Using the epoxy dough, I covered the scoop and let it set up overnight.

The next morning, I popped it out of the mold. After a bit of cleanup and prep on the inner surface, it will be ready for fiberglass. I'll be able to make both scoops from this mold.

Work continues...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Got the first side scoop done yesterday, as well as quite a bit of bodywork done on the side panel. :)

I prepped the mold friday night, so I was ready to go first thing on Saturday. Here's a shot after laying down the fiberglass. First layer was the strand mat, followed by two layers of woven roving.

Popped it out of the mold. Had one area where it stuck a bit, so I'll have to repair that before laying up the second scoop.

Side by side comparison between the original foam scoop and the fiberglass piece.

After trimming the scoop, I set it onto the side panel for a test fit. You can also see the bondo work, where I've been filling in the problem areas. I broke through all the bubbles near the surface and filled them back in with resin paste. After grinding them smooth, I went over the areas with bondo. I also went around the whole thing where the fiberglass meets up with the plastic panel and covered up the seam.
That large patch of bondo is where I noticed a minor low spot in the fiberglass. I thought I had that part of the form pretty flat, but I guess not!

I still have to trim the end of the scoop, and I'm thinking it's a bit too long so I'll take about an inch off.

Once I get it trimmed down to where I want it, I'll cut the fan holes in the side panel and glue the scoop down using some resin paste. Then I'll finish it up with some more bondo.

Looking forward to getting some primer on the whole thing so it's one solid color. Hopefully by next week! Thanks for reading. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Last weekend was more family time than modding time, but I did get some additional work done on the side panel, filling, sanding, and trimming. Was having difficulties fitting it back on the case. The fiberglass must have distorted or shrunk the bezel, so I had to trim most of the stock mounting tabs off and add new ones.

But now it fits on the frame again, so I can start marking areas that need to be cut away, like the side scoop hole.

Then I also brought the motherboard in and did a test fit so I could mark all the cable holes.

Roughed out the IO plate and video card holes.

I also started on the motherboard mounting, marking those holes. I'll be using some T-nut inserts from the back that will accept the stand-offs, which I will epoxy in place. I should have another update tonight on that. 'Til then!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Motherboard mounting progress...

After marking the holes with a template, I drilled them out, then routed out a wider area for the T-nuts so they would sit flush.

The T-nuts had barbs sticking up that needed to be flattened since they wouldn't be able to penetrate the fiberglass. I also drilled some holes around the outer base to have something for the resin to grab onto when I permanently set the T-nuts in place.

A shot of the motherboard side with a standoff...

I also got a bit more work done on the access hole cutouts, trimming and filing the edges down, and got another layer of bondo on the low spots of the panel. Which means more sanding grunt work in the very near future. yay!

In other news, I picked up more of the pink stuff from Home Depot (had to drive 20 miles to the next town for it since the local HD doesn't carry it :x ).

No, I won't be insulating my house with it. ;-) Got more pieces to fabricate, namely the top, front, and back panels. I might even start shaping the top panel this week, as I'm in need of a change of pace after all the work I've been doing on the side panel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So I'm taking a breather from all the sanding and filling on the side panel, to do a little foam shaping for the top panel. I think I love this part the most, creating a shape totally from scratch. :)

I cut four strips off the main sheet of foam and glued them together, making a solid block that fits in between the two side panels.

Then I started shaving material off to get down to the basic shape I'm looking for. I want it to follow the contours of the side panels and raise up a bit more in the center to make room for the 420mm EK radiator and fans underneath.

Starting to take shape now.

The front of the top panel will have a dashboard hood feel over the lcd screen, which will display EVGA's Precision overclocking utility.

A shot of the other side.

Next I'll be relocating the top bars over the radiator, mounted parallel to each other. The new top panel design will need to accommodate the bars on both ends, so I'll have to work that into the foam as well.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Top Panel
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:43 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Got the top bars modded and relocated last night. :)

Since the bars would be mounted straight up, I had to get rid of the angled flat ends.

After filing the ends, I drilled and tapped them to accept an 8-32 socket screw.

I placed the bars onto the case and adjusted their height with wood blocks until I got them where I wanted them. Then I whipped up a couple mounting brackets from 1/4" flat bar stock. This case will be quite heavy and these bars will need to support the weight, so merely attaching them straight down into the case's top panel wouldn't be prudent, especially now with the 420 rad cutout. These mounting brackets will distribute the lifting forces across to both sides where the case frame is stronger.

Here are the top bars mounted to the brackets.

A close up shot of the front bracket. I still need to secure them to the case frame.

Once I got the positioning of the bars, I used cardboard templates to mark the ends, then transferred those markings over to the foam piece and cut the holes.

A look-see from the front.

The bars are not completely parallel to each other. I widened the spacing more at the front to go along with the overall look of the case.

Here's a quick wide shot of the whole case from the side.

Now that the bars are in place, I can continue shaping the foam, adding some contours down the center and working around the bar ends. If all goes well this weekend, I might actually get the foam fiberglass-ready. :)

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Relocation of the Top Bars
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just a quick update... Got the surface smoothed out, and added a depression in the center which will be under the bars, and that will continue on down to the back panel.

Just for fun I set the bars back in place and tossed on the oval decorative pieces for a look-see. I happened across those at the local auto parts store in the dressup section. :thumb:

Ok back to it...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

More progress on the top panel, getting some primer on it after much sanding and bondo...

I know it's only one picture, but it pretty much sums up the work done thus far.

oh, and Happy Easter! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Still working on the top panel, but it's been in a holding pattern until I can get a good dry weekend to do some fiberglassing. (which might actually be this weekend <crosses fingers> ). In the mean time, I've been skipping ahead to the front grill. So here is some of that progress:

Using 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar, I cut 18 pieces down to size. This is the first half.

Next I started rounding the bottoms to match the curve of the side panels.

The cutting is followed by the filing.

All 18 pieces rounded. A bit more work is needed to get them all the same.

Next step is to drill mounting holes through all pieces. I wanted the grill to come out more in the center, so I staggered each piece by 3/16" before drilling. I double and triple-checked the spacing, and made sure the pieces were square at the bottom before clamping them together.

the 3/16" offset was about the max I could go, leaving me with a 1/4" between the hole and the edges of each end piece.

Half of the grill done, with temporary acrylic spacers added just to see how it looks.

Looks pretty good, now to do the other side. You can also see my badass cardboard mockup of the front bezel where the lcd screen, fan controller, and key switch will go.

Repeated the same process for the other side, and assembled all together. I love the stepping!

And finally, a shot of the whole thing in place.

Can't wait to get the top edges done, and the whole thing polished up. It's gonna look shaweet! :)

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Front Grill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Wow, that grill looks great.

It reminds me of an old 40's car grill, yet it looks very futuristic.

Great job job on the entire build. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks Rooke!

More Grill progress...

Made my own metal spacers from 5/16" stainless steel tubing. I took this shot before I deburred the ends.

And I got the top ends of the bars rounded. This was kinda tricky since they are offset, and I needed to have the all curves end in a straight line so it will mate up with the top faceplate.

Here's a couple shots of the grill on the case..

And an over-all wide shot.

Hoping to have a productive weekend, as the weather should be very nice.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well the weather did hold last weekend, but of course I got called into work on Saturday, robbing me of most of my modding time. But I did manage to get some work done on the front bezel. I started with a piece of 1/4" acrylic, mapping out the item placement.

Here is what I'll be mounting in the bezel: 7" lcd touch screen, Lamptron Touch fan controller, a hot-swap 2.5" drive bay, a pair of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, and finally an ignition keyswitch in the lower center (not shown).

Once I got things where I wanted, I began cutting out the holes, then filing down to a nice snug fit.

I found one of these all-in-one units lying around (big mistake on its part!) and thought I could utilize it in some fashion.

But I only wanted the 2.5" hdd bay.

So it got extracted from the rest. It will get mounted just underneath the Lamptron fan controller.

Here is a shot of the bezel after fitting the USB ports.

I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm thinking something along the lines of this for the Ignition switch. It has four detents: Off, Acc, On, and Start (momentary). I can use the Acc to turn on fans, or the pumps prior to firing up the computer.

Hoping to get mounting brackets made tonight, and possibly some finish work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

That front grill just wow's me. Incredible job as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks onevoicewild!

What's this?? A Cosmos Cruizer update?? :shock:

Yep, believe it or not, some progress has been made! Now that the Maker Faire PC is all but completed and ready to be delivered to NVIDIA, I can continue work on this. I'm really going to push to get this thing done, without any more breaks. So there will be a steady stream of updates from here on out! :)

I've been slowly working on several components of the build simultaneously, one being the side scoops. I've got the form re-prepped to 'glass the second one, and I finally got the first scoop attached to the panel. I mixed up some resin paste and, after cleaning the surfaces, gooped it on the edges of the scoop and set it in place. Then I applied more paste all around it, inside and out. I used a 2" acrylic disc I had lying around to scrape off the excess paste, leaving a nice rounded fillet between the scoop and the panel.

I used a wooden dowel to get the inside edges. And I always employ the highest tech, state-of-the-art clamping/holding devices available to keep the parts stationary while gluing. ;-)

After a few hours, the paste had set up so I could remove the hi-tech holding device and put the panel on the case for a look-see.

This weekend, I'll do a little sanding and hit it with a coat of primer to see how it looks.

Feels good to be back at it. woot!

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Back at it
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So over the weekend I managed to cross a HUGE item off my to-do list... The Suicide Door! :D

Anyone familiar with the Cosmos II doors will know they are a royal PITA to do anything with because they are so complex. Just adding a basic window is a massive undertaking due to the door's varying thickness and compound curves. Well, not only am I adding a window, but I'm also relocating the hinge point of the door from the front of the case to the back, mimicking the old "suicide door" style seen on many custom rods.

This modification affects not only the door itself, but the side bezel and case chassis need to be altered as well. But first up is the door panel. I took the left door, removed the aluminum door skin, and flipped it so the solid part was at the bottom. But in order for the hinges to work properly, I had to harvest it from the other door.

So I took the dremel and separated the hinge from the donor door.

Marked its new position on the back side of the new door.

After removing that portion, I did some test fittings until the new hinge fit perfectly.

Then I glued it into place. I screwed the metal hinge in temporarily to give it more rigidity while gluing and to check for level.

After the initial tacking set up, I used some ABS cement to fill in all the gaps and add reinforcements where needed.

Once the new hinge was in place, I turned the door over and started marking out the window. I added the side scoop on for a quick visual.

After I was satisfied with the window arrangement, I proceeded to cut it out.

Next I prepped the core for foam by taping off the window edges and roughing up all surfaces. Adding foam in the center will allow me to re-skin the door in fiberglass, and also aid in sound deadening.

Let me just state for the record that I despise spray foam in a can! You can never use this crap more than once or twice, otherwise the tip gets clogged, rendering the nozzle useless. So you use a screwdriver to try and clear the passageway, and you end up breaking it off, sending spray foam all over the garage! (TIP: If you get spray foam on your clothes or in your hair, wait until it cures before attempting to remove it. Much easier! lol )

After the foam cured, I took a hacksaw blade to carve away the excess.

I was able to use all the ribbing as a guide to get the foam flush.

And a quick final shot of the door on the case...

Next up I'll get to the door frame and chassis modifications.

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - Suicide Door
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:42 pm 

You had me at Suicide Door. Glad to see you getting back on this. Imaginative as usual! Man you know how to make a big mess - Ha ha ha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:17 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hehe thanks onevoicewild. :)

Now that the door hinge is moved, I need to modify the door frame to accept the new hinge location. This was relatively easy, since I just had to transfer the measurements for the two notches from one side of the frame to the other.

An overall shot of the frame.

With that done I could mark the hinge locations onto the chassis.

I went to town on the chassis, cutting out the marked areas and fabricating some brackets to fit in behind. This proved quite the challenge, since the bracket's positioning was crucial to having the door line up correctly.

A couple close up shots of the bracket, from the outside...

...and from the inside.

Mounting the hinge...

Test fitting with the door frame...

... and with the door.

After a few adjustments, I could then permanently secure the brackets to the chassis with black pop rivets.

Next step is adding a fiberglass door skin over the foam, unfortunately I ran out of resin and need to order more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I also managed to get some more fiberglassing done last weekend as well. It was a fine display of mindful modding multitasking. :) I'd lay down some gel-coat, then work on the suicide door while that was setting up. Then I'd go over and apply the layers of fiberglass, and continue on the door.

Here are a couple shots of the second side scoop I made.

After it cured, I started trimming it down, matching the original. Here is a side-by-side comparison in mid-trim.

I also made significant progress on the top panel. I was not happy with how the epoxy dough mold came out last time, so I ditched that in favor of a new Plasti-Paste mold. The epoxy dough, as I found out, would not stick to itself which was crucial since I had to make the mold in two parts. So here is the first part of the plasti-paste mold, the top.

With the top piece fully cured, I could demold it, then proceed to add the sides. I had to do this in two parts because it would be almost impossible to demold it all at once without ruining the original form.

I set the top back on the form and added the sides and front. Once that cured I could demold the entire things as a whole.

Had a bit of trouble with the fiberglass lay-up this time. I had mixed too much hardener in the resin and it started curing too fast, so I only managed to get two layers of cloth down. And I had just used the last bit of resin so I couldn't mix up any more. It's probably ok, but I think I will want to add some form of reinforcement underneath for strength. I will have to add some mounting posts or something to secure it to the case anyways.

Here's a shot of the top panel on the case. It's not pretty, as it still needs to be trimmed, but I can work with it.

Work continues!

Post subject: Re: Cosmos Cruizer - More Fiberglass Please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

More progress on the top panel! I got more resin in, so I was able to mix up more paste and fill in bubbles and other problem areas. I also added some temporary dowels underneath in preparation for cutting away the center section. This will reinforce the piece and help retain its shape.

Center section cut out.

Now I can work the edges and smooth out the lip where the mesh will sit.

I cut out a piece of mesh roughly to the size of the center area and marked the edges.

Here's the mesh after cutting and bending the back end down and around the bottom.

After some additional cutting and filing, I got the mesh to sit flush with the top surface.

I placed the top panel with mesh onto the case for a look-see.

It's getting there! Still have some bodywork to do to smooth it out a bit more, and I have to add holes in the mesh for the top bars. If all goes well, I might be able to get a shot of the whole case this weekend, with everything assembled thus far. Maybe even a coat of primer on it all so its all one consistent color! :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next