Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cannot play Blu-ray movies-With one exception
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm 

I have a new custom Clevo laptop model P157SM with a Samsung/Toshiba BD-RE internal optical drive (TSST SN-506) running Windows 7 Pro. The drive would not read blu ray movies using Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra giving a message of "No disk in drive E:". It reads DVDs and CDs fine. The device appears in device manager with no errors as well as in My Computer. If there is a blu ray movie in the drive, My Computer shows an empty BD-RE drive. The vendor sent me a new drive, this time a Panasonic. Same problem and message. Hours on the internet provided no definitive resolution. THEN I tried something I read. I uninstalled the drive and powered off the computer. When I powered back up Windows 7 found the device and installed drivers. I tried 2 different movies and both played. This procedure worked on both the optical drives. BUT, after letting the computer sit for a while I tried a movie and got the same "No disk.....". Am I condemned to having to uninstall/reinstall my optical drive every time I want to watch a blu ray movie? During my extensive reading I saw people talking about deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry. But this seemed directed towards error messages in the device manager which I do not have. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cannot play Blu-ray movies-With one exception
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:46 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would call the manufacture and explain the problem with having to reinstall the drivers for your Blue-ray drive in order to play a movie and that you have win 7 installed.

Is win 7 fully updated?

Have you looked on the machines website for new drivers for your Blue-ray drive?

Have you looked on the site for firmware updates for the blue-ray player?

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 am 

I've been in contact with Tech Support but they're not sure what the problem is and want me to send the laptop back so they can dig into it. It's all on their dime so they only thing I'm out is the time without the machine.

Windows is up to date and as for trying to find updated drivers/firmware, I spent about two hours looking for them online. Most of the sites I found were in the UK and some of them I was reluctant to download anything from. I did take a chance at one site and ended up with about six or seven programs, most of them codecs, installed on my computer that I did not want and one threat alert from my anti-virus software. I terminated the connection before I found any updates then un-installed the programs, some of which I was familiar with through my use of BD Rebuilder. Anyway, I'd have better luck finding a map to the Ark of the Covenant. Plus, the sticker on the optical drive itself says it was manufactured in January 2013.

I appreciate the response but it seems to be a unique problem. I'm still wondering if deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry would help. I'm just a little gun shy when it comes to tinkering with the registry.

By the way it's an OEM unit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:06 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I'm not sure about the problem you're having, but to look for drivers/firmware just check the computer manufacturer's website and the device manufacturer's website. As for the registry, it's easy to make a backup of the keys before you delete them: right click and export.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's get some things out of the way so we can determine if it's really hardware.

• Can you view files in the Blu-Ray disk? If it's structured like DVDs, you should be able to open it up like a filesystem (you may have to right click on the drive while there's a movie in there). If you can view the files just fine, we can start to rule out hardware.
  • Are you only using the CyberLink player? If so, I would suggest using another player like Windows Media Player or VLC. If those work, then it's probably just CyberLink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm 

With a blu ray in the drive I cannot view the files in My Computer. It shows as an empty BD-RE drive. I made a request through CyberLinks Tech Support but their support leaves a lot to be desired. And since I can use Cyberlink to view the movie after I do my uninstall/reinstall routine, I don't think it's the software.

As far as firmware, that's another nightmare. I finally found a firmware update by googling Samsung oem and got to the TSST site. Now the problem is the firmware update for my model number is for a unit with an SB oem code. My oem code is TM. Looking through their site I found a chart with the various oem codes and TM is nowhere to be found. I've talked to two different people, did an online chat with another and keep getting passed around. Two messages have been sent to their Tech Support but no response yet. AND I've been on hold on the phone now for just over an hour. All I want to know at this point is if the firmware update, which is dated 6-9-13, will work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I would still check to see if there is an update or patch for Cyberlink. I had a similar experience with my laptop. DVDs played fine, but I put in a BR and I got a message saying there was no disc or the disc couldn't be read (which didn't make sense since I knew it was a BR player and the software came bundled with the laptop).

Long story short, I found an update and BRs play fine. Bottom line: there may be a bug in the software that allows you to play BRs after the reinstall of the drive, but you see it afterwards.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:07 am 

After having the problem, the first thing I did was upgrade PowerDVD 11 to the latest version. That did not help so I contacted CyberLink tech support. They sent me a link to download their updated version (which, looking at the patch and version numbers, appeared identical to my version) and I got the same results. This morning I got a message from CyberLink regarding my problem. There appears to be an issue with PowerDVD 11 and Haswell chips on certain systems and their RD team is looking into it. I informed them they needed to include PowerDVD 13 while they were at it. I also asked for a definition of "certain systems". So you may be correct in that the software could be the culprit. Now I'm going to try and find another trial version of a reputable company's blu ray software and try it out.

Thanks to all, again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://lifehacker.com/5806252/how-can-i ... y-computer

Try method #2. I also seemed to have forgotten something. Blu-Ray movies are sometimes encrypted, which explains why you can't view the files.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 am 

I think I've heard of the MKV software and I may try your suggestion. But my main goal is to solve my problem, not circumvent it. As far as the encryption, one of the movies I tried to initially play was the commercial version of Jaws along with my back up version of the same movie ripped with AnyDVD HD and compressed using BDRebuilder. Again, both gave the same results. And I can read the files of both by opening windows explorer. But when I get the "No disk in drive E" message the files are not visible in windows explorer and My Computer indicates it is an empty BD-RE drive which makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:26 pm 

OK, it is definitely a CyberLink problem. I downloaded a trial version of TotalMedia Theater 6 and, using that program, the problem went away. I put in a BD movie and clicked on PowerDVD 13 and got the No disk in drive E message. I exited out of PowerDVD and clicked on the TMT 6 icon and the movie played like a champ. I repeated the process two more times with the same results. Software problem not hardware is a good thing, sort of. I'm just hoping CyberLink RD can come up with a patch in a reasonable time so that the money I spent on their product is not wasted. According to them it is a problem with the new Haswell processor. Well, trust me, there are going to be a lot of those chips floating around.

Thanks to all who gave their input and tried to help.

Rich