Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound like it's the caps?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 pm 

Okay I have a MSI K9N SLI Plat that I've had for years. Was a gaming system at one time but I now use it mainly for e-mail, torrents, and a HTPC for my "man cave".
It can go anywhere from a week or three between uses, and I turned it on yesterday and it couldn't get into windows, 7 or XP. It would post fine, but it would turn right off (no power) 75% of the time while the windows loading screen was up and the other times during log in or while the desktop was loading. :shock:
The case I have is an Antec that has a circular led around the power switch, and a couple of times after a shut down the LED would be blinking on and off and the only way to boot the system would be to switch the toggle switch on the back of the PSU off and on again before hitting the power switch. :?
Before this I'd never had a problem except for a rare occasion where it would reboot during the night while torrenting. I always thought it was update or windows just being a pain

My first idea was that the Antec earthwatts 500 watt PSU was gone. It was pretty old. So I got a new Antec Basiq+ 550 watt and gave that a try. I also set the BIOS to safe defaults. With the new PSU I checked it with just a usb mouse, a PS2 KB and one monitor hooked up but everything else still in the case. I had noticed that three of the caps around the CPU socket were pushing out at the top while I changed the PSU. They weren't leaking and hadn't burst, it was just that they weren't flat on top like the others. Well the new PSU seemed to do the trick. Both Windows 7 and XP would fully boot. I even did a file check on 7 (because it kept insisting that I do it) and never a flicker. The only problem I noticed was that a couple of times when I did a restart the computer would power down instead.

Well it had to sit (not running) for a couple of hours before I could reconnect everything and the first thing I did was the speakers. I booted up after connecting the speakers so I could check and make sure I had the channels right, and it did it again. Before getting into windows it shuts down every time again. Now the LED blinking not only happens, but flipping the toggle on the back does nothing. I actually have to pull the power cord to stop it. So either I have a second bad PSU or it's that caps. Would the caps take out a PSU?
I'm not sure if my MB was one of the ones affected by the bogus cap scandal. But I'm starting to think it's where the problem lies. I could go to the trouble of tearing it right down to CPU, vid card, one stick of ram, and the booting HD, but is that going to be a waste of time?

Oh well, I've been thinking of upgrading my 875K gaming system to a new Haswell one. If this system is toast I might just do that and use the 875K to replace the AMD one.
I'm not really having a problem with the 875K I've got it @4.130 Ghz and with the 2 680GTX's I've got it's running surround just fine. But have been wondering if the extra CPU horsepower and the PCIe 3.0 upgrade would be worth it.

Post subject: Re: Sound like it's the caps?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I've never run across bad caps, but my understanding is that bulging is one of the signs, so yeah, I'm leaning bad caps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:23 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
I've never run across bad caps, but my understanding is that bulging is one of the signs, so yeah, I'm leaning bad caps.

Same here. Bulging is what happens before they start to actually leak. I had bulging caps on a video card that were enough to stop it from working.
Time to replace the caps or the board.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:39 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Here is what they will look like:

http://www.google.com/search?gs_rn=21&g ... 4AOwhIGgDw

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:01 am 

Nastyman wrote:
Here is what they will look like:

http://www.google.com/search?gs_rn=21&g ... 4AOwhIGgDw

Nasty

Yeah, they kind of looked like this.
http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/kt3.html
Not even spread out. Just a bit of a hump instead of totally flat.