Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Solid-State Drives Versus Hard-Disk Drives in Laptops
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 am 

What is a HDD, What is a SSD? Solid-State Drives Versus Hard-Disk Drives in Laptops. What's the Difference? thanks cms consulting

Last edited by britnilinda on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Solid-State Drives Versus Hard-Disk Drives in Laptops
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HDD or hard disk drive refers to a spinning disk with magnetic traces. The traces are read or modified as the disk spins to read and write data.

SSD is or solid state drive refers to use of non moving circuits to store data.

- A spinning disk retards motion. as such, moving a laptop with HDD running puts a lot of strain on the HDD bearings, and platter (disk). Jostling about a laptop in use is a quick way to harddrive failure. SDD because there's no moving parts will not suffer as easily.

- HDD's have latency from a few areas. If you want to read a point in a file contained at a particular physical location on the disk, the read head has to move in to that location (seek time) and the disk has to rotate to that point (rotational delay). Again, since there's no moving parts, you can just read off the SSD, and the delay is circuit based. The result is dramatically improved IO.

- SSDs generally use less power. Generally.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 269-7.html

HDD's generally cost a lot less to get the same space as an SDD. That said, I've found it worth it to rely on removable SD cards, USB keys and my home network to store loads of data. I use SSDs in my laptop for faster general use. Even my lowly eeepc901 is chugging along on an ssd.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Some other things of note here about SSDs:
  • SSDs generally have much better read speeds, and often times better write speeds than HDDs. In comparison, SSDs can top out at 550MB/s reads and 300MB/s writes, versus an HDD which can only do at its peak about 120MB/s for either operation.
  • The only major downside to SSDs is that they have a limited number of write cycles, which is about 10,000 writes per memory cell (2-bits) give or take. While this may not sound like a lot, the OS and firmware can write evenly across the drive and if you're data writes per day is fairly low, then the SSD will last pretty much into the next century.

A trick I found is if you can get a laptop that you can get into, get one with an HDD and later swap it out for an SSD. You can then put the HDD in a 2.5" enclosure and use that to store stuff when needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

LatiosXT wrote:
A trick I found is if you can get a laptop that you can get into, get one with an HDD and later swap it out for an SSD. You can then put the HDD in a 2.5" enclosure and use that to store stuff when needed.

That's an awesomesauce tip since not only do you end up with a storage device, but you'll also save money. Laptops sold with SSDs default to a much higher price than buying with HDD and your own SSD. Just do research to know if you're getting one that will fit!