Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Waking up from sleep
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 am 

Well I'm been noticing that when I wake up from sleep my keyboard and mouse would stop responding. I would press my keyboard space button, it would respond, I would see the lights on them. But a few seconds later, it would not respond and the lights are gone. No response on the monitor either. The computer would be running. I could hear the fans. I would have to hard boot the computer my pressing the power button for it to work again. When rebooting, it would say it's resuming windows. So I don't know what the problem is.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill RipJaws 1600 16GB
Graphics Card: XFX HD 6870 1GB Radeon
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Mouse: Logitech G9x
Keyboard: Corsair K90
Monitor: HP Compaq LA2205wg
Resolution: 1680 X 1050
Hard Drives:
750GB Seagate Barracude Drive
Seagate STBD4000400 4TB
Seagate ST1500DL003 Barracuda Green Hard Drive - 1.5TB
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X

Post subject: Re: Waking up from sleep
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This may sound like a cop out, but I would just stop using sleep mode. I have. Personally, I've always found sleep mode to be buggy at best. You're describing symptoms I've experienced since Microsoft first introduced sleep mode.

You could try hibernation, but I've found that to be slightly less buggy and just not worth it. A well ventilated computer will have no problem running all day; and if you're worried about electricity, then shut it down if you're going to be gone for an extended period of time.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Waking up from sleep
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

A strange thing for me is I never had a problem with sleep mode. Well, actually, the only time I had a problem with it was actually a very obscure issue with the RAM I bought. If you want to read the details, they'll be in the spoiler below.

Aside from that, if sleep worked fine and now it doesn't, I would suspect a hardware problem over a software problem. Unless you've done something to the system recently.

Spoiler: show
So about that RAM. I built a system that had trouble waking up from sleep. The symptom was basically it'd go into a restart cycle. Gut instinct was PSU, as PSUs gave me more issues than not. Replaced it but nope. Second guess was to replace the motherboard... but the issue persisted. I couldn't say the CPU was at fault, because of my firm belief that CPUs are shipped with such low failure rates that I could probably have a shot at the Mega Millions Lotto.

Why I didn't suspect RAM at first? It kept passing Memtest. But I did anyway and low and behold, it was the RAM.

Now don't count me on this one, but MPC said in the past that RAM is usually the first thing to screw up, if something screws up.