Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using a Virtual Machine to run OS X can brick your machine!?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 am 

A planet where apes evolved from man?!? ;) Seriously though, a Mac using friend of mine claimed that he would love to install OS X on his Thinkpad T60p but that he's "seen it done a couple of times but it's dangerous to do as you can brick a good machine in a hurry." Now...call me crazy but I don't recall that ever being a problem. I seem to remember the use of dongles in the past but was there ever a time where flashing a BIOS (which, yes, you could conceivably "brick") or something similar was involved? I even mentioned a recent MaxPC article about using virtualization and an unlocker created by some guy named "donk" in order to create a virtual Hackintosh. Whatever the case in the past, it seems to me that virtualization is pretty easy to do these days and even doesn't have the performance hit that it used to what with quad core CPUs being common.

Just curious so I can get my data straight. There's nothing I dislike more than people spouting "ooga booga!" talk to scare others who might otherwise be curious to try new things. I think it's awesome that we've reached a point where being able to try different OSs and software isn't the black art that it used to be. Especially if someone just wanted to try and get their game on or had to use some proprietary corporate software that might only work in a Windows environment. 8)

Post subject: Re: Using a Virtual Machine to run OS X can brick your machi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am 

Sounds like one of those times when nobody knew what happened and as they where running OSX on a virtual machine at the time decided to blame that. I have had a few computers that where put together with poorly matched hardware and software and have seen many things go awry. Today I have a high end i7 quad with a lot of RAM and run multiples of VM's including OSX and never have a problem except with finding VM drivers which makes the VM OS's pretty limited. Brick is an interesting choice of words as well as is normally reserved for smart phones. Sounds like something I would ignore completely after a Nano second of thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 pm 

Thanks for the input, Dok. I knew I was OK but it's always nice to hear. It's just that I post good deals on software from time to time on my wall that I think my friends would like and might not otherwise know about. So I always want to make sure that I'm not leading anyone astray. I guess I should know when someone starts out with "Why would I want to do that? I have no interest in polluting OS X with it." I should know better. But he did challenge me by asking if I had ever run a VM OS which I haven't, even though I consider myself pretty well read on it. (Thanks MaxPC!) While I'm sure there was a point in time when running a VM put a real drag on a machine, and today might still affect it somewhat, it doesn't seem to me to be that big of a deal. Oh, well. Chalk this one up to live and learn. I never disparage different systems and love the diversity that is available. Still want to make that native running Hackintosh, though. Although, maybe I should just do it VMware style and then post my experiences for my friends. You know. Just because... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 pm 

Thankyou Cyber,

On modern VM software you can allocate specific amounts of RAM and numbers of cores to your VM's. I have 12Gb of RAM at the moment. Some one once said to me that you don't need loads of RAM and in most cases it is true. Running VM's is one exception and RAM drives are another. I can load 24GB of RAM or 48 if I swap my 4Gb chips for 8Gb ones in my motherboard. If the VM O/S is 32bit then you wouldn't need to allocate more than 2GB. I use VM's as a tool so that I can load up any O/S when I am talking people through problems. I don't actually use the VM's to run programs or to do work so I will allocate enough RAM to make them run light which is usually about 256 or 512mb. I also limit them to one cpu core each for the same reason. VM's have enabled me to learn my way around most O/S's from Microsoft and mac. I have also run Chrome OS on a VM. I gave up trying to get them fully functional as I had no need for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 am 

Yep. It's an amazing time and I was actually going to say that trying and learning other OSs is a bonus! Thanks for the input and keep on building! (running..testing...hacking...) ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 am 

anyone know what issue that mpc did the virtual Hackintosh in? would love to give that a shot for fun. :) thanks :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

It will not brink your system as its a virtual machine and not the actual HDD. Although i belive any newer osx build after 10.4 maybe a little tricky just make sure you meet the requirments.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am 

Cybershaman wrote:
A planet where apes evolved from man?!? ;) Seriously though, a Mac using friend of mine claimed that he would love to install OS X on his Thinkpad T60p but that he's "seen it done a couple of times but it's dangerous to do as you can brick a good machine in a hurry." Now...call me crazy but I don't recall that ever being a problem. I seem to remember the use of dongles in the past but was there ever a time where flashing a BIOS (which, yes, you could conceivably "brick") or something similar was involved? I even mentioned a recent MaxPC article about using virtualization and an unlocker created by some guy named "donk" in order to create a virtual Hackintosh. Whatever the case in the past, it seems to me that virtualization is pretty easy to do these days and even doesn't have the performance hit that it used to what with quad core CPUs being common.

Just curious so I can get my data straight. There's nothing I dislike more than people spouting "ooga booga!" talk to scare others who might otherwise be curious to try new things. I think it's awesome that we've reached a point where being able to try different OSs and software isn't the black art that it used to be. Especially if someone just wanted to try and get their game on or had to use some proprietary corporate software that might only work in a Windows environment. 8)

It's not legal to run OS X on a windows designed machine. Technically it can be done but not legally.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

orlbuckeye wrote:
.... It's not legal to run OS X on a windows designed machine. Technically it can be done but not legally.

Quite true. So nobody should Google the term, "hackintosh," lest the NSA report you to their partner in watching you for your own good, Apple.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's not illegal, it's just against the EULA which the company itself has to enforce. i.e., The EULA is a contract between you and the company.