Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Booting from Ext HDD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

I am by no means a professional, but I do consider myself somewhat above average. I do not know if this is the right place to do this, but google isn't helping me. I will try to be as informative as I can.

I currently am using a Custom built pc that my friends grandfather put together. I am unaware of the MOBO atm, Everest is unable to tell. But I want to say it's MSI Platinum, as that's what I see when I boot the computer, it shows what looks like a metallic bear claw slashing through metal. I'd reboot right now to find out exactly, but I don't have the time right now.

My problem is this; it is currently running Win7 x86 and want to install x64, but I want to make sure it will work properly, so I partitioned my HDD giving it about 30gb, should be plenty to test it out before I decide to completely format and install. I am trying to install via USB Ext HDD, following the guides google points me to. Here's the kicker, my BIOS wont detect the ext drive to boot from. I even tried to force it by turning off the option to boot from the HDD and the computer still boots as normal. So I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. I can provide any information needed by everest upon request, as well as any other additional information needed.

Thanks for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: Booting from Ext HDD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:12 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Windows can't boot from an external hard drive, unless one of these guides was for a special install. Even if you installed Windows with the external hard drive selected, if you boot from it, you get a BSOD.

If this HDD is external and the only spare one you have, the only option you have here is to take it out of the enclosure and plug it in (External HDDs are just internal HDDs with an enclosure).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:07 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Location: Around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track
Wait, you're trying to install from the USB HDD, like installing from a thumb drive? Or you're trying to install to the USB drive? If the BIOS isn't detecting the drive, well, it just won't work, use a disc. If you're trying to install to the USB drive...why? No room for a small partition on the internal HDD? You could try setting up a virtual machine stored on the USB drive. Am I missing something here? Is it a x64 CPU? Should work fine, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 am 

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Wait, you're trying to install from the USB HDD, like installing from a thumb drive? Or you're trying to install to the USB drive? If the BIOS isn't detecting the drive, well, it just won't work, use a disc. If you're trying to install to the USB drive...why? No room for a small partition on the internal HDD? You could try setting up a virtual machine stored on the USB drive. Am I missing something here? Is it a x64 CPU? Should work fine, right?

Trying to install from the USB HDD to the Internal HDD. I know you can do it from a thumb stick, so I figured you could perhaps do it from a USB HDD?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Possibly, but you would need to create a separate partition for it first and make it bootable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm 

I have the partition already, 30gb set aside. What else would I have to do? And is it actually possible to boot from an External HDD? Or does it have to be a thumb stick/cd?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Whatever the process to make USB sticks bootable should work on external HDDs.