Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for pretty specific laptop options
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Okay, so I'm finally going to buy myself a laptop, but having difficulty finding what I want... hell, not even sure that what I want is actually available. I've found a few with some of the options I want, but not all :x

Must have:
14" to 16" touchscreen
1600x900 or 1920x1080 display
current (3xxx) or next gen (4xxx if comming before mid August) i5 or i7 CPU
GeForce 740 or better graphics
easily replaceable hard drive (aka easy access without taking half the computer apart)
$1,400 MAX including any taxes / shipping

I already have a 128GB Vertex 4 SSD that I'll be putting in it as soon as it arrives so cheapest hard drive option (or none), & cheapest memory option as well, I'll upgrade myself instead of paying outrageous OEM upgrade pricing.

Must NOT BE:
Toshiba
HP

Prefer it not be:
Sony
Dell

Last edited by chaosdsm on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for pretty specific laptop options
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, narrowing it down, your best option on Newegg is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834233013

But honestly, you already know what you're looking for, so go hit up Amazon or some such and use your search engine skills. I have to warn you though, that if you think "easily accessible hard drive" is opening up a door and disconnecting the hard drive drive from there like you can with RAM, a lot of laptops are now you have to disassemble the entire bottom part to get at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 am 

You have almost summed up everything that you need here pal. I do not think you need more help :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

misses a couple requiements... 740 or better graphics & low cost hdd cause I already have a top performance SSD to put in it...

And nothing comes close on Amazon, though I saw an Asus at BestBuy that's darned close. I guess I'll have to make the step up to the more expensive i7 to get the rest of what I want...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Does it have to be a touchscreen one? Because nixing that would open up a lot more doors. Most touchscreen laptops are geared for ultraportable/casual use crowd. Otherwise you're going to have to wait at least until the end of summer before things start looking better.

Also Core i7 based machines aren't any more expensive. I have a laptop that has a Core i7-4700QM, a GeForce GTX 765M, 12GB of RAM, and 1TB of HDD space that cost as much as the laptop I posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

It's going to come with windows 8 (as much as I can't fucking stand Winblows 8 ), so it's idiotic not to get a touchscreen.

Lenovo's Ideapad y510p is almost perfect.... But no touchscreen. I'm trying to find out from them if they have anything upcoming that would fit my desires.

Though, I'm seriously thinking of throwing my list out the window & grabbing the Asus Transformer p1801 and getting a laptop later....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Windows 8 is usable without a touchscreen and a few laptops (namely ones by Asus since I have two of them that do this) substitute the touch screen gestures for touch pad ones. And you're not smudging up your screen in the process.

Also I'll repeat, Windows 8 is usable without a touchscreen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:38 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Windows 8 is usable without a touchscreen and a few laptops (namely ones by Asus since I have two of them that do this) substitute the touch screen gestures for touch pad ones. And you're not smudging up your screen in the process.

Also I'll repeat, Windows 8 is usable without a touchscreen.

I know you love Windows 8, but you wouldn't look at it the same way if you provided technical support for all kinds of idiots who need to read "Computers for Dummies"... many of whom think that a CPU is the tower sitting under their desk.... or the whole laptop sitting in their lap / on their desk... I could go on about Windows 8 without a touchscreen, but this isn't about Windows 8, it's about finding a laptop with a specific set of options.

Now, that you've reminded me why I haven't bothered to come here in 3 months..........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, again, you know what you're looking for, so honestly, why bother asking?

... And honestly, the problem with Windows 8 and people is they want the OS to submit to them, instead of working with it, regardless of interface.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Well, again, you know what you're looking for, so honestly, why bother asking?

Well, back in the day (as in several years ago), this was a helpful forum... you could ask, & chances were that someone knew of something that came pretty darned close to fitting the bill. So that instead of looking up all 2,387 different "current" models of laptop/notebook/ultrabook, it could be narrowed down to a manageable # of models to check out, compare, & choose from.

LatiosXT wrote:
... And honestly, the problem with Windows 8 and people is they want the OS to submit to them, instead of working with it, regardless of interface.

I work with Windows 8 weekly, & I continue to find problems with it... There are multiple layers of problems with Win8... but if you want to let Bill Gates Is My Daddy control your OS experience, or pay extra for stuff that used to be there, well that's your choice.

Fact is there are some extremely helpful features in Win7 that were stripped from Win8, troubleshooting & tech support features at that. It seems like Microsoft wants to make it so that I have to keep up on my MCSE in order to be able to provide support for my clients, instead of just using the tools that used to be there, something that I cannot afford to do at this time.

Nobody, wants to go into a car dealership, & order the cheapest base model car, and live with "the way it came" for the next 2, 3, 5, 10, 20 years... But Microsoft has effectively given us 3 options to choose from, and an extremely limited ability to customize to our desires. Basically, we can change part of the paint scheme, but have to stick with the wheels, tires, brakes, engine that came with it, or pay someone else to make those changes for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks for all the non-help....

So after days of searching, I found the laptop I will be buying!!!

ASUS N550JV-DB72T Touch
- FREE!!! – U.S. UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout)
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Matte-Type Touch Screen
- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700HQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 750M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
- COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied
- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS)) – Default
- Standard Laptop Finish
- 1,000GB (1TB) 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default (option to remove only saves $30, so will keep & use the 1TB as external backup with my eSATA III external enclosure)
- 6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
- Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2)
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Spare ASUS N550 Smart Li-ion Battery (4-Cell)
- WINDOWS 8 - 64-Bit (Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk)
* Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians
* 72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability

Total Price shipped $1,407 - $7 over budget thanks to the spare battery.