Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1st Build PC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 am 

Hey, first time ever getting into computers or computer building. Just last week I didn't even know what a motherboard's job was or a processor for that matter. But I've been doing my research vigorously, getting some advice from my pops, and looking through other forums for starter PCs, so I kind of got a general base of what I'm planning on building

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX660 ($199)
CPU: ???
Processor:Intel Core i5-3570K ($170)
Hard Disk: Barracude 3TB ($100)
SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III ($199)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ($60)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8 ) ($119)
Case: ???
PSU: ???
ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED 23-Inch IPS LED Monitor($152)
Total: $1139

At the moment my budget can range from 900-1300, but if I can either

A) downgrade a piece without sacrificing performance or
B) find one that's cheaper

I'll gladly comply :D . This rig is going to be mainly for gaming, maybe some video editing but other than that, it's a home media system.

Post subject: Re: 1st Build PC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nice job, especially considering you just started.

FYI, the CPU is the Processor so you already have one picked out. As for the PSU, a good 650W should do the trick. I would suggest a PSU from Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic, maybe Antec - I would suggest a Bronze rated PSU (there are Silver, Gold and Platinum rated PSUs too but I feel the cost isn't worth the added efficiency). And anyone who has built computers for a while will tell you that a good PSU is crucial, so don't skimp out.

As for the case, you're the one that will be looking at it, so it's really more your preference. Start with ATX mid-tower cases - it's a standard size and should fit any motherboard. Ideally you want good ventilation and airflow. Personally, I try to find cases that have front, side, top and rear fan vents (you don't have to fill all of them, but I like having them available if I need them). Another thing to consider are the ports. I usually look for USB 3 which should be standard on all the newer cases. Also, depending on where you'll place the computer, the location of the ports can be factor. For example, a computer sitting on the ground should not have ports located at the bottom of the case - dust will quickly accumulate and render the ports useless.

Try Newegg for starters - you can filter to your price range or other preference. Amazon is another place you can check.

Instead of the 660, maybe the 650 Ti Boost would be a good alternative. It's cheaper and very competitive with the 660.

One last thing, Haswell just came out, so compare those CPUs with the Ivy Bridge you selected. If they're similar in price, you might as well go with the newer technology (just keep in mind you'll need to choose a different motherboard too).

Hope this helps.