Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Comprehensive software license reporting tool
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am 

Hi Guys, I know this isn't related to PC problems but this definitely falls under the "I need help" category.

I'm looking for a comprehensive software package that can report the type and number of software licenses we have in use in our environment.

For example, I'm looking for software that will tell me how many copies of MS Project, Adobe Acrobat, or Autocad we have installed on our PC's company wide.

Any corporate MPC members out there that can help?

Post subject: Re: Comprehensive software license reporting tool
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm 

spiceworks http://www.spiceworks.com/ hase some pretty decent reporting. I dont think it will tell you activation status or keys used, but it does a good job of listing the software installed on users machines

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:33 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did some googlin' and found this program...the stuff it can do is impressive.

http://recover-keys.com/

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Location: Around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track
Ok, I don't know beyond a doubt that Recover Keys caused it but I installed and ran it today (downloaded from authors site) and my x64 Vista Home Premium system threw a fit immediately after. It said that there was some kind of security mismatch and that my installation was not valid. Online validation wouldn't work, unable to open Computer properties dialogue by any method, nor Control Panel. Slui 4 Slui 3 spit up the same error:
“Windows Activation An unauthorized change was made to Windows You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your license or activation. Use the link below to find out how to fix your system.
Error: 0xC004D401
Description: The security processor reported a system file mismatch error.”

I spent time on the phone with Microsoft trying to activate/resolve...no joy.

It seems like an innocuous piece of software, I don't know for sure that it caused this, but I hadn't made any other changes. I had to use the Dark Side of the Force to activate my OS and then re-activate again with my perfectly good license key.

Oh, umm, I had no restore points, I never have any, it's turned off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
Oh, umm, I had no restore points, I never have any, it's turned off.

Oh my God, :shock: shame, shame! You are an IT guy and NEVER MADE A RESTORE POINT before trying out a new piece of software!! You are gonna loose your job if you keep that crap up for sure! Hell, I make a restore point before I install a new game for crying out loud.... :roll:

I would have called the software company and told them what happened and how do I get out of it. I hope you just downloaded the trial version and not paid for it!

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well, it's my machine so I don't care. Hell, it's running Vista, I'm looking for a reason to put 7 on it anyways. I'm always kinda reckless with my own stuff, I figure I can get out of pretty much anything I get myself into. Which I did, albeit the quick and dirty way. I've learned a lot like that. I'm never so careless with other people's equipment.

It was just the trial version, I was curious to compare it to Belarc Advisor. I probably won't be shelling out for a paid version. I hope that it's a good program, being able to check out machines across the whole network is a really cool feature. I was just putting my possibly cautionary tale out there as a heads up for others. It would be very bad to knock out a server like that.

But thanks for your concern, everything is fine now. I fixed it and only wasted like half a day. Now where is that System Restore...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
Now where is that System Restore...

Type System Restore in the search box above the start button...does Vista have one...it should show up in the list it provides from the search. GOD! Vista! Put 7 on there please! :mrgreen:

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nastyman wrote:
GOD! Vista! Put 7 on there please! :mrgreen:

Nasty

Working on it now, just as soon as Active KillDisk gets done writing all these zeroes.

I like jawing with you Nasty, but I'm afraid I got us off topic. I hope methuselah found what he was looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

methuselah wrote:
.... looking for a comprehensive software package that can report the type and number of software licenses we have in use....

The guys who will be auditing your ass. :lol:

They used to be very helpful. Don't know whether they still are.

But it might be of benefit to ask them what their inspectors use to audit business networks and try that? I doubt they keep it secret other than to not make an endorsement because they would rather you make sure all software on your network is in compliance with their respective licenses rather than catching your company with unlicensed software on your PCs.