Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building a New Gaming PC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:00 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

So after five years of dedicated service from my rig, I've decided it's time to build a new system. My screen was recently upgraded to 2560x1600, so I need something that can handle that, and I'll be trying to play all of these games I missed out on recently (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2, Saints Row 2, etc) at high settings with a good framerate. I've been out of the loop about what hardware's the best at what price point for what purpose and whatnot, but I did some digging around for a general idea, though I figure you guys will have much better ideas about what I should do.

Right now, for the two main components, I was thinking of getting a 7950 for the video card, and a 3570K for the processor. Are these good for that resolution? Should that be good for my screen size, or am I going to have to get something meatier? I plan on getting 16 gigs of DDR3 as well.

I don't have an exact budget, but I'm thinking I want to spent anywhere between $600 and $900, with $1000 being the hard cap if it helps buy me a sizable amount of performance - I'm not quite sure where the region where I have diminishing returns is, and I don't want to just cheap out and hate myself in a year. I won't need to buy a hard drive, and I have a Windows 7 license, so unless something's changed and I just need Windows 8 for gaming, I shouldn't need an OS either.

Post subject: Re: Building a New Gaming PC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You don't need that much RAM and I'd suggest getting a Core i5-4670K just to stay up to date. Otherwise the GPU should be able to handle that resolution but it will start choking on more graphic heavy games, like Metro 2033.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:32 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Ah, thanks, I'll get that CPU instead then. And I was just getting 16 gigs since it's so cheap, but I suppose if I get 8 I can throw the other fifty bucks at the video card.

How heavy is "heavy" regarding Metro? Is it like Crysis when it came out, crippling systems, so that not being able to max it out is common? Or is it just one of many games that have requirements like that? If it's the latter I'll definitely need a better video card. I've looked at some benchmarks (thanks, Tom) and the GTX 770 seems to be the most powerful for its price, would that be able to handle the job? And I saw some mention of an 8000 series, maybe I should just hold off and get like an 8850/8950 or whatever they wind up calling it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can play the waiting game for an eternity :P

But yes, Metro 2033 and I think its sequel tends to require beefy systems. The Witcher 2 with Ubersampling on does the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hi. You are on a tight budget and you and with the i5 4670k Processor, you will also need a Motherboard ( Socket 1150 ). What PSU you have in your present Rig ? The reason, I'm asking os to see if it is enought for the 7950 Video Card or GTX whatever. You could do well with a GTX 6xx as they are good cards. Not the newest, but still very good. If the PSU can be Moved that will save you some as will moving the Hdd. If you have a good Mid Tower Case, then you should be fine. I agree that 8 Gb of ram is plenty for most, uless you are doing video editing or other memory intensive operation. You didn't say what you have know as it would be helpful in that you may be able to use some stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I can't really reuse anything other than what I mentioned, since I'll probably wind up either giving my PC to a friend or using it as a server. So I need to basically buy the whole shebang (CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM, PSU, Case) minus a hard drive and OS. Well, maybe I have an optical drive I can reuse, but it's like $20 for a new one so it's not big deal to factor in.

But let's talk price, if the 4670k is $240, RAM is $50, if I get a 7950 that's up to $300, a mobo might be $100-$150, and that winds up being $740 and I still need a case, PSU, and video card. Could you recommend a mobo that fits the 4670k, and a PSU that powers all this?

Also, for cases, I remember the Nine Hundred was some really cool shit, what's the case everyone loves nowadays? Or how about, what's the biggest, most badass, well-ventilated case I can get for maybe $70 that you've heard of (I found some "legit" :lol: cases on Newegg but I'd rather hear from someone what the zeitgeist is for cases).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Unless you're dead-set on the 7950, consider nVidia's new 760 GTX - it's $250ish and should beat the 7950 in almost every benchmark.

As for cases, $70 gets you a surprising amount of case nowadays. Newegg has sale right now, including the Carbide 500R for $70 after rebate. This is the case I'm using for my next build (though I'm using the white version).

PSU? Get a good brand (Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic), Bronze rated, 650W should be good. Keep your eyes open for sales - they pop up every now and then.

For the motherboard, just be sure it's an 1150 socket and make sure your RAM speed is compatible (right now, 1600 seems to be universally accepted - anything higher will require some OCing on your part). ASRock seems to be putting out some good boards right now; ASUS is usually reliable. I'd also consider the MSi mobos (the MPower series is 100% tested before it leaves the building so they should work no problem, of course these tend to be a little pricier).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Oh, me likey that case. I only chose that card since Tom's had an article about "Best video cards for the money", but Googling the 760 shows an article on this very site about it beating the 7950, so I guess I'll go with that instead, then. Looking at Newegg, this one is about $40 over the regular 760, but has 4 gigs on it, so I'll probably get that unless that much RAM is just snake oil (for a big screen that extra two gigs should be good, right?).

EDIT: So I just went through and looked for stuff, does this look good? I have it on good authority that I can be an idiot, so if I have something stupid listed here, I'd like to know. Maybe I'm spending too much on something, cheaping out on the wrong thing, confused some buses, etc.

CPU: $240
Intel Core i5-4670K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116899

Video Card: $290
EVGA 04G-P4-2766-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130937

Mobo: $110
ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157378

Memory: $75
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145345

PSU: $90
OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341051

Case: $105 (-25, if I can get the rebate)
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811139009

Total: $910

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That all looks good. If you want a CPU cooler, The Cooler Master Hyper 212 comes highly recommended. Just be warned, it's a huge cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Cool, thanks. Do you think I'll need that? Is the default heatsink/fan that comes in the box not powerful enough?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:38 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

If you were sticking to stock clocks then yes it'd be fine. The point of getting a K variant of any Intel processor is for overclocking though and the stock one wouldn't be able to handle much of an overclock. That and the CoolerMaster heatsink is more efficient than the stock heatsink without adding much, if any, noise to your setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I wasn't planning on trying to do something nuts, maybe add a couple hundred megahertz, if at all, so I suppose I'll stick with the stock one for now. The k was only $10 more so I like having my options open.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:52 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Let me be a bit more clear, when I say "not much of an overclock" I mean not much more than 100 - 150Mhz overclock, if that. Unless the stock heatsinks have gotten a lot better than the one I first had on my SB i5 2500K then you would be lucky to be able to get much of an overclock with the stock heatsink. Keep in mind that desktop Haswell processors generate more heat than IB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Oooh, thanks for that, then.