Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Slippery Multimedia HDD.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:21 am 

For about a month now, my E: drive has been (randomly) disappearing on me. When I say randomly, I mean it could do it the second I boot and for all other consecutive boots throughout the day, or go 72 hours without an incident. More often than not, the drive is still in the bios after rebooting, but sometimes it won't show up there either.

Running an Asus M5A2 ATX board, AMD FX-6300, 600 Watt Corsair Modular PSU (80 bronze rating) Kingston SSDNOW V300 @ 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200rpm, Sapphire 7870 "Tahiti" 2GB and 16GB of Patriot 1600Mhz memory.

So far, I've swapped the SATA cable, tried another SATA port (tried them all, actually), swapped the power cable, all did nothing. Ran a plethora of drive tests using the SeaTool from the Seagate website, all passed, unless the drive dropped while running the tests.

I am stumped. Is it possible for me to have a bad (not dead) drive? The drive is still under warranty from Seagate, but I run the risk of them sending me back the original drive if they find nothing wrong with it, charging me for shipping and processing. I don't want to forego a storage drive while I wait for another. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Slippery Multimedia HDD.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:45 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would get a ticket with Seagate anyway. I'm pretty sure if you thoroughly explained your case, they'll send you a different drive (although I would note your drive's serial number, just in case). Because the only other things I can think of is a faulty power supply. I would say firmware, but then this should be a common enough issue with that model.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:50 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Because the only other things I can think of is a faulty power supply. I would say firmware, but then this should be a common enough issue with that model.

Wouldn't more power hungry components suffer first before the HDD if my PSU was out of whack? Cause I have my SSD and HDD on the same rail and my SSD has never failed me.

In terms of firmware, is it possible to update that? If so, how would I go about that?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've had faulty power supplies give me a fake click of death on an HDD.

And it could be possible, you'd have to go on their website. Keep in mind that you may lose your data if you update it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
if you have an older seagate drive with firmware 7200.11 you need to update it. the seagate site has everything you need for this.
if you have .12 or newer it may not be firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:22 am 

Ill give it a shot when i get home. Will update this thread with my results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 am 

Did a couple of things this morning.

1- Checked for firmware update, no new update available, already updated to .12 (lucky me)
2- swapped the power cable and switched to another open slot on my PSU.

Got a post beep and a red light (hardware change), went into bios, and guess what, no HDD. Turned off computer, reseated the connectors and tried again. Got it back, for now.

Filling out a ticket with seagate, including the info from SeaTool and a few screenshots to ensure that I'm getting my point across, and so they won't send me back the same drive.

I appreciate all the help. Did not know that you could update firmware on HDDs (:P) Marking as solved, as I now think I'm 99% sure it's a faulty drive.

*EDIT* One last thing, how can I test my PSU to take it completely out of the equation?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can't test a PSU unless you have an oscilloscope and you cracked it open. Which, for all intents and purposes, is dangerous unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I think there are little gizmos that test the power supply, but I think all they do is make sure it just works and produces the right voltages. I suppose if it doesn't make the right voltage then we have a winner, but things can go wrong even if makes the correct voltage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Akutalji wrote:
*EDIT* One last thing, how can I test my PSU to take it completely out of the equation?

Swap in a known good PSU if available; this can rule out (or in) the PSU as the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Check in the bios for the voltages from your psu ( should be 3, 5 and 12 volts + or - 5% ) and temps of your cpu.

Nasty