Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Open Licensing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm 

I posted this a month ago in the windows parlor but it never got approved so I am trying here.

I have 4 PCs. I want to buy an open license but can not figure out the best route because the information is aimed for businesses. I know there is a minimum of 5 which is fine. But they also have Open Value and Open Value Subscription and Software Assurance. I called Microsoft and the tech just read to me off the website.

I would like 4 windows 8 pro upgrade and hopefully use 5th license for Microsoft office but not sure if you can do that. I want Software Assurance because the way I take it is; if they release windows 9 within the next two years i get it free.

I found windows 8 pro upgrade for 65$ each license but i couldn't determine if that was the software included. Does that price sound right?

I cant believe there is not any other better options out there. Surely other families have 4+ computers. I found a family 3 pack but no one in town sells it in town and Microsoft doesn't acknowledge it so I feel like its just discount for buying three. So it seems like Microsoft goes from 1 to 5-1000 computers which is business orientated so the sites are not user friendly. Where is the 2-10 large family market?

Sorry for ranting and thanks for any help in advance.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Open Licensing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Stick with win 7, it has a better interface for doing work on a pc than win 8, which was primarily designed for tablets and phones. If you have touch screens, ok use it, but if not what good is it?

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The desktop interface in Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7, minus a start button of any sort. There are some oddities, like figuring out how to shut down or getting into the control panel (which you can do from the charm corners or something).

Grab the Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation ISO and put this in a VM or test machine and try it out yourself. Yes it is a new interface and yes you may need some pointers on how to navigate, but in all honesty, once you've played around with it after a week, things start becoming second nature.

I should point out that people have done the same in the past with previous "radical" GUI changes. Even everyone's beloved Start Menu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think he wants to know the best way to get 4 licenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:04 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well you can legally install 4 "evaluation" copies on your PCs complete with product keys (plus lots of other MS apps like Office) as a TechNet subscriber for $200 but to stay legal it would be an annual $150 subscription renewal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
no, to stay legal you have to purchase the evaluated software. through technet you only get to evaluate the software, not use it forever. and any other person that wishes to do an evaluation of the same software has to have their own license. you cant have 4 separate evaluation installs with a single license.