Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Windows 8 System Is Being Hacked/Hijacked.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,

I recently had a virus. I did a full wipe of my computer and re-installed Windows 8. I did a thorough scan of my external hard drive with various anti-virus programs as well. It did detect some and I deleted them. My computer recently shut down the other day because it said it was at risk of being completely 'taken over' by someone and had to shut down to avoid it. Also, when I went to the devices list in the control panel there was a 'Milestone X' under multimedia devices and that is not by my doing. I removed it and it has not returned. I believe it said it had something to do with mobile devices but I do not have a wireless network. I have seen things like that appear before in my devices after my computer was infected by the virus but have removed them. I just scanned both my system hard drive as well as my external hard drive with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program and Avast's Anti-Virus program and they detected no infected files. I know I am still vulnerable though since my system shut down on me to avoid being Hijacked and that suspicious 'Milestone X' device listed in my devices. If anyone can help me in securing my system to make sure no one but me has access to it and to rid myself of any viruses on my rig I would very much appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

My Specs Are:

Windows 8 Pro
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
OCZ 750w PSU
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHZ RAM
Geforce GTX 650 GPU
2 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD

Post subject: Re: My Windows 8 System Is Being Hacked/Hijacked.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I did a search for "Milestone X" and apparently it is a Motorola mobile phone. Someone apparently hacked into my network using one, perhaps? I have a wired router and use Cable Internet.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 am 
Klamath
Klamath

By "Full Wipe" are you saying you reinstalled. Or, are you saying that when you reinstalled you took out your hard drive right down to no allocated space? If you haven't, do that. Wipe the drive until the installer says there isn't a drive with allocated space, boot the computer and then start the reinstall again. Again, it should say there is not space and ask if you want to install to it. Say yes and install. That should do it. If you still have the problem after that, you are getting the virus from another source on your network..........or you're using a hacked and infected Win 8 disk.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:31 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Not only did I reformat so that there was no allocated space but I did Windows 8's special re-install that takes upwards of 8 hours (on my rig at least) and completely clears your hard drive. I am, however, wondering if there is still a virus on my external hard drive as I did not erase that hard drive. I have run various anti-virus software on it, however, and they say it has no infected files. I know my Windows 8 disc is good, I've had it since launch and it has never given me any problems. I only recently started having these problems.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you fix the master boot record? That would explain why after a nuke and new install is still infected. The malware simply writes itself to the new windows installation when windows is finished installing itself.

To fix it, pop the win 7 disk in and let it load, when it comes to the selection screen choose Repair>choose cmd prompt>type: BootRec.exe /fixmbr

and hit enter, next type exit and restart dvd to load windows after you delete the partitions and format the drive.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, FIXMBR may use an older version that Windows 8 does't like. Or that could be bootrec.

Either way, cavaet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:40 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Win 8 is different than fixing win 7s MBR. Here is an update site to my other post:

http://windows8themes.org/repair-fix-mb ... rompt.html

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to be giving this computer to my Dad, as I am building a new one, and I will be sure to fix the master boot record before installing his OS on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok thanks Nasty and Latios. I fixed the MBR. Everything went fine and I'm hoping I won't have any more problems with viruses. I did yet another virus check and it said my computer was clean. On a side note, the last of the parts for my new rig came in the mail! Woot! It's a 4670k, 500GB SSD, Dual GTX 660 beast! I can't wait to put it together later on today! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Let us know how it turns out!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

MaximumGraphics wrote:
On a side note, the last of the parts for my new rig came in the mail! Woot! It's a 4670k, 500GB SSD, Dual GTX 660 beast! I can't wait to put it together later on today! :)

Oh, that should be a beast alright. I am running a single GTX 680 and have been hammered about going sli. Don't know what your last CPU was, but if it was a second Gen Sandy Bridge or earlier, you will notice the difference out of the box. I went from a 2600k to 4770k.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

coastie65 wrote:
MaximumGraphics wrote:
On a side note, the last of the parts for my new rig came in the mail! Woot! It's a 4670k, 500GB SSD, Dual GTX 660 beast! I can't wait to put it together later on today! :)

Oh, that should be a beast alright. I am running a single GTX 680 and have been hammered about going sli. Don't know what your last CPU was, but if it was a second Gen Sandy Bridge or earlier, you will notice the difference out of the box. I went from a 2600k to 4770k.

My last CPU was an AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU. Just got the rig put together, posted, booted and installed windows 8 pro no problems. The Hydro H50 took the longest to install since I've never done a CPU water cooler but even that went pretty smoothly. Between cigarette breaks and searching the house for appropriate screws (man they really skimp on the screws in packages nowadays, lol) it took 4 hours to build and install windows. I'm actually on my old PC now and about to hook up the new one in my bedroom. I'll show you all some benchmarks and WEI and all that when I get it hooked up and after I install Windows 7 on my old rig for my Dad to use. Only thing that sucks is I thought the top case fan openings on the top of the Carbide 500R case were only 120mm and so I bought 2 Corsair 120mm fans for them. While installing them I saw I could have put 2 140mm fans in there and that would have definitely been preferable. Oh well, I can always slap a couple in at a later date. The two 120mm fans should be fine for now and I'm not doing any really aggressive overclocking. Might try to get my 4670k to 4.5GHZ and just leave it at that. I should be happy with that speed increase I'm sure. Is that still too aggressive of an overclock for a 4670k though? I know the 4770k's are getting 4.8GHZ in some instances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Take small steps and see if the system runs stable for a week or so, then add more until the system goes unstable, then back off 2 0r 300 megahertz.

Good luck with the new rig and have fun!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You should be able to get 4.5 Ghz with no issues. I there is a problem, it will be heat and with the CPU cooler. I have seen a lot of air coolers that do just as well if not better. Have fun with that thing. Like nasty said, don't get impatient and take your time. I haven't started OCing on this one as yet. Gonna get some 2366 Mhz memory first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'll start at 4GHZ and see how it goes from there. Do you guys know of a good site I can read up on Haswell overclocking? I can do a Google search but you guys probably know of some of the best resources for info. in my 15+ years of building computers and hardcore gaming I have yet to overclock anything. Not a CPU, not a graphics card, not anything. as a side note I decided to save my Dad some time and I have been installing all of the updates for Win 7. I am on service pack 1 now, it's been like 2 hours total. It was an unopened copy from release day so it needs lots of updates lol. I am eager to get on my new rig and and try out some Metro: Last Light. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That UEFI BiOS makes things a bit easier. You might find something on YouTube if you know what Motherboard you are using.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:33 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm using an Asus Z87-A. I'll do some searching on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, ran some benchmarks. Games seem to run beautifully on my new rig too.. So far tried out Metro: Last Light and Neverwinter. I should note that on one section of 3DMark it crashed to desktop and said "Driver Stopped Responding and has Resumed" and then went right back into the test and gave me my benchmark readings at the end as if nothing had happened. Also, on Unigine Heaven it reads my OS as Windows NT when it is, in fact, Windows 8 Pro. I don't see anywhere to easily compare these benchmarks online. I remember the old 3DMarks used to have a webpage you would go to after the benchmarks and they would compare your scores with other users' scores that used similar hardware. So are these scores any good? I haven't overclocked anything yet, I'm running:

Windows 8 Pro
Intel i5 4670k CPU @ 3.4GHZ
Asus Z87-A Motherboard
G.Skill 16GB Memory @ 2400MHZ
500GB Samsung SSD
2TB Toshiba HDD
2x Geforce GTX 660 2GB Video Cards

WEI:
Processor: 7.9
Memory: 8.2
Graphics: 8.1
Gaming Graphics: 8.1
Primary Hard Disk: 8.1

3DMark Basic:
Ice Storm: 206932 Graphics Score: 622026 Physics Score: 62037
Cloud Gate 19090 Graphics Score: 65748 Physics Score: 5480
Fire Strike: 7540 Graphics Score: 9653 Physics Score: 7667 Combined Score: 2829

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0:

FPS: 46.9
Score: 1180
Min FPS: 22.2
Max FPS: 111.0

System:
Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3399MHz) x4
GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 9.18.13.2018 (2047MB) x2

Settings:
Render: Direct3D11
Mode: 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme

Also a question about temperatures, my CPU under light load appears to run about 27 degrees Celsius and my second video card during the Unigine Heaven benchmark was running at about 70 degrees Celsius, is this too hot? My first video card was running much cooler, I believe by about 20 degrees. I can always get an extension cable and connect my 200mm side fan (and get a filter for it) if 70 degrees is too hot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I Overclocked my CPU to 4.5GHZ with 45 x cache ratio at 1.104v. I Ran Prime95's default torture test and my CPU never got above 60 degrees Celsius. That's pretty good, correct?

-Update-

Had a crash and a freeze so I downclocked the cache ratio to 44 and kept the clock speed at 4.5GHZ, seems stable. 66 degrees Celsius is the hottest it got while running Prime95's torture test.