Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do you prefer MOBO RAID or addon card?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So thinking about upgrading.. What's your experience with the RAID on mobo these days? I use a addon card in my home server and thinking of going that route in my gaming system when I upgrade. Have not used the built in RAID on the Mobo, so wondering what everyone else's experience using it.

Post subject: Re: Do you prefer MOBO RAID or addon card?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

From what I know, motherboard RAID isn't quite as good as an add-on card, but it's done via BIOS so Windows doesn't know any better (usually). Add-on cards, if you're going to install Windows on it, requires you to do the driver install before you install the OS.

The only problem with RAID though is if you don't have Z77 or similar chipset or newer, Windows can't do TRIM. I don't know if this is the case with AMD motherboards. And I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem on add-on cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I prefer neither. Let me tell you why. (though I lean towards OS software raid)

Modern processors are powerful enough that RAID operations dont take more than a 10-15% toll. Its exceedingly rare that you NEED that cpu power for whatever you're doing. Mobo raid at least tends to be widely compatible. I'm pretty sure Intel's chipset RAID is compatibly from ICH6 - current chips with only 1 break along the way. Thats what like 9 years and tens or hundreds of millions of compatible devices to choose from should you need to replace your controller? But with that method AND the raid card method you have to worry about TLER issues degrading your array if you dont buy RAID certified hard drives . I've heard linux software raid solution gets around all that quiet well. If I had to I'd go that route I think.

Raid cards are expensive (for hardware acceleration) and have a pretty high failure rate. The longer it lasts the more of a pain in the ass it is to find a replacement and more likely it is to have appreciated in value.

What do I prefer? Fill up a 2-3TB hard drive and make a copy. Put that copy in the firesafe and start over. Increase the frequency of backups to your level of paranoia. The increased flexibility of this method far outweighs the slight and *possible* cost savings of the RAID method. Oh and did I mention you can easily move stand alone drives to other computers or take them with you and use them with media players etc? Try hooking up your RAID 5 to your beach house rentals home theater system.

Uhg I could fill a small book with my thoughts on this, but hopefully that covers the main points well enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Most people these days just RAID0 two SSDs.

But honestly I'm not finding that very useful since I've found that load times have logarithmic growth in performance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yeah I learned the hard way about the drive selection on my home network... The only reason I was thinking about RAID in my gaming system is to minimize down time if a drive goes bad. After my last major hard drive issue I made a point of getting my backup issues resolved, as I discovered my system was not being properly backed up prior to the drive crash, took me 3 days to get my system backup. I was thinking RAID 1 for my future gaming system, just for fault tolerance using the RE drives, plus an extra or two boxed away for drive failures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:49 pm 

If i'm not mistaken the only reason you would need to use a raid card is, if you had a PC like this one http://www.tweaktown.com/sbg/1/tweaktow ... index.html and even than, if you used a correct motherboard you could have all the raid connections handled by it, instead of paying $1,200+ for a card.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well I never paid 1200 for a raid card not sure where you pulled that number from, spent about 200-300 on my controller. But mobo built-in raid was not that reliable and was mostly a software raid as I recall when I built that system... Thus my question about what folks think about the built in raid features on today's boards.