Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Super Heroes Needed.....Father's Day Gift in Peril
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Every 5 years I build myself a monster that will last STRONG for 5 years until practically everything with a PC gets upgraded. This puts my last beast in the basement collecting dust. It was an asskicker in it's day but not compared to my new beast.......anyway.

My retired dad lives like he's in the '70's. I try to explain to him how lucky he is to have retired in the 21st century, especially when it comes to the internet which for him, is his God awful slow 17", 10+ year old laptop so Father's Day is soon approaching and I did not forsee the problems I am having.

I went down to the basement and reassembled my old beast which is easily 4 times faster than his 10+ year old laptop PLUS I want to introduce him to a 26" monitor so he can relax in bed AND enjoy the internet.

So I put it all together, plugged in MY 26" HD monitor to it and I got nothing. Not even a BIOS screen?!?! I'll try to post specs as best as I remember them, also there is no 2032 battery on the mobo.

AMD 955 CPU
Radeon 4890 w/1gig RAM
When I had it, it powered both my 26" HD monitor and my 42" HDTV
Soyo's SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra motherboard
4 (2gig) sticks RAM
ANTEC 750 (only 1 year old)
Was running an SSD which crapped out so it now uses a WD Green to run it's OS.

When I plug it into my own Samsung 26" HD monitor I use today it behaves like nothing is plugged into it. Again, no BIOS no nothing.

Any advice on where to begin would help greatly. Please do not waste any time on sarcasim as I need this put together by this Sunday, Father's Day.

I really thought this would be an easy bing-bang-boom just reassemble a rig that work so good for so long and buy my dad his own 26" HD monitor. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: PC Super Heroes Needed.....Father's Day Gift in Peril
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

A few things:

1. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000312.htm

2. What do you mean by an AMD 955 CPU? That Soyo board has a Socket A and the 955 is Socket AM3. Gonna need more detailed/accurate specs, sorry to say.

3. Is the board shorted out in the case?

4. Have you tried the PSU in another build to prove that it's still good?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The PSU is the newest part in the system. The whole thing turns on fine just doesn't seem to make a connection to the screen.

The CPU is a Phenom 955 3.2ghz chip, I remember having it overclocked to run at 3.6ghz. What's killing me is I am not even getting a basic BIOS screen. Any ideas??

Does NOT having a 2032 battery cause this problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If the computer isn't beeping at you and you have the buzzer plugged in, it's probably a power issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Does NOT having a 2032 battery cause this problem?

If you're referring to the CMOS battery, I would imagine it could though I've never tried running a mobo without the CMOS battery.

Quote:
Soyo's SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra motherboard

Something is askew here. You cannot have a 955 in the Soyo motherboard you mention. The sockets are different; plus, Soyo has been out of business for around 8 years - I'm guessing the motherboard could be 10 years-old. If you really are using a 955 with that motherboard, that's your problem right there.

It sounds like you have the know-how and experience in building computers. Go back to basics - disassemble the computer and re-build it like it was new; test as you go along. You'll figure it out. When you do, let us know.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
let alone the kt400 is an agp board, and you listed a pcie video card, which of course would not work. also you said you had an ssd hooked up to it, but that board only has pata connections, no sata. it has only three slots for memory and will only use 1gig ddr400 sticks. there is no way it would work with 2gig sticks in it.

you might have the board manufacturer wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The mobo listed is wrong cause I used a Phenom 955 chip which that board cannot use.

My mobo is the ASUS M4A79 Deluxe (I think the Soyo Dragon was the one before that....sorry) that uses the Phenom 955 3.2ghz. Sorry about the wrong specs. Why am I not getting at least a BIOS screen?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This pc I am trying to revive kicked ass in it's day. There should be no reason why I don't even get a BIOS screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

If you have fans spinning, look there.
This is a situation where you must logically go through a step-by-step process of elimination to find the defective part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Will my pc post if it has no hard drives connected to it?? All I want is a basic BIOS post.

My PSU is the newest part made by ANTEC, one of if not THE best PSU makers out there. 750 watt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Will my pc post if it has no hard drives connected to it?? All I want is a basic BIOS post.

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: For a basic POST, you need CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU (graphics card IF there is no integrated graphics). Of course, a case and monitor too.

Quote:
My PSU is the newest part made by ANTEC, one of if not THE best PSU makers out there. 750 watt.

While I understand your affection for Antec, they did have a bad spell a few years back - I know because I received 3 bad PSUs. Also, in my experience, the PSU has the highest failure rate of any component, regardless of which manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Problem ended up being bent pins in the CPU. When I took it apart, then later put it back together I bent a few pins of the CPU. Oh well, I tried. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Problem ended up being bent pins in the CPU.

Its an old trick, but if you have a mechanical pencil, empty out the lead and (carefully) use the empty tip to straighten the pins. There's no guarantee it will work, but since you're giving up on the CPU already, it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

As I recall the Pins are on the processor with an AMD. Makes things a tad easier if that is the case. I just had someone bring down an old IBM ThinkPad that would not post until I replaced the CMOS battery, then had to set the clock. With out the battery, there are absolutely no BiOS settings.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:16 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

On top of the pins being bent, I installed a 2032 battery so I am quite sure it's the chip.