Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ssd housekeeping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:12 pm 

I read tip#2 as well page 21 in the April 2013 issue in the 'Doctor' for ..more room on SSD.

I am not finding the 'MOVE' or 'ADD button when I enter Properties and see Library Locations.
I am running Windows 7 and may have clumsily changed certain views as I have attempted multiple times without success to change the location of the default documents or pictures. In desperation I clicked Restore Defaults and now everything sucks. How do I get rid of those suckie task bars on top?

Next task I was could not follow...go to storage drive, create a folder...I could not find to select 'Include Location.' When I right click the new folder my best choices were 'Include in Library' with the choice of Libraries and 'Create New Library.' When I selected Documents Library I now have two Document Libraries in the 'C' drive.

Post subject: Re: ssd housekeeping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So... What are you trying to do exactly?

If you're trying to create a new library:
  1. Go to the Libraries folder
  2. Right click on any empty space
  3. Select New -> Library
  4. Give the Library a name

If you're trying to add locations to a Library
  1. Right click on the Library (e.g., Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc.)
  2. Select Properties
  3. Press the "Include a folder..." button
  4. Select the folder you want and press the "Include Folder" button in the pop-up window

If you're trying to have your User folder folders point somewhere else. (which is probably what the article is referring to)
  1. Go to your User folder. This is usually opened up when you launch Explorer. Otherwise put %UserProfile% in the navigation bar and pres Enter.
  2. Right click on the item you want to have pointed somewhere else (e.g. My Documents, My Pictures, etc.)
  3. Go to the "Location" tab.
  4. Click on the "Move..." button
  5. Select the location you want the folder to point to.

Note that this moves everything in the previous location it was pointing to into the new location.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 am 

Thank you so much for your reply. After reviewing your help I still cannot access the steps you direct me to enter. I am running Windows 7. I am trying to change the default save of my Libraries of documents, videos, and pictures to my mechanical drive and to not load into my SSD 'C' drive. When I save a document or picture I do not want the Library to open and instead want my 'E' drive to open to save. This was discussed in the Doctor Q&A on pp 20-21 MaxPC Apr 2013. (No More Room on the SSD from Paul Lamb).

When I left click Windows Explorer it opens 'Libraries' which shows Documents Library and all the other media Libraries i.e. Music, Pictures, and Videos. So I right click on Documents library and in the menu that opens I left click Properties to get to the 'Library Location' field. It reads My Documents (C:\Users\Tom) (this is checked) and the next line is Public Documents (C:\Users\Public). What I don't see is the 'Move' button. In the Doctor article is says 'Under Library Locations click Add.' I do not see 'Add'. The next set of instructions says 'go to your storage drive, create a new folder called Documents, and then select include location. I do not see 'include location.'

So to recap I am trying to save space on my SSD by moving my files in the Libraries located on the 'C' drive to my mechanical drive and to change the default Libraries save location to those same mechanical drive folders.

I profusely apologize if I have frustrated you as another case of easy to understand by all 'except my parents.'

The other thing I threw in the mix was trying to undo the default browser settings I activated so I can get rid of those controlling toolbars with their ads.

Thank you, Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm 

I have added to advise I did find the 'Move' button, but not the 'include location' when I opened the new folders in the 'E' drive.

I did go to 'Tom' in personal folders and there were My media files. (vs Explorer) When I right clicked on them and selected Properties I found Location. From there i found the 'Move' button and browsed to the 'E' directory and selected the new folder I had named Documents. It had browsed to a save as folder titled Select a Destination where I scrolled down to the file in 'E'. Select the folder and it takes you back to properties/location of the media folder and I entered Apply. It then asked me if I wanted to move and I clicked yes and it transfered the files. So now I have files in both locations and when I save as a picture it still wants to move to c/library.