It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD Housekeeping | Tip #2 - Clean out your AppData
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:59 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Tip #2 - Clean out your AppData
--------------------------------------------

I constantly find more and more instances of programs wanting to use the drive on which Windows is installed to store files, no matter where executable files were installed. For instance, take a look at the Public\Public Downloads location in the Users folder on your root drive. We found several programs here that had months-old update downloads lurking. The User\Public folder is where anyone with a user account on the PC can access files. But it is also a spot where some third-party programs store downloads.

Even though you may have learned to import and copy all of your pictures, music, and video to the storage drive, your Windows configuration may not. For instance, open Windows Explorer and highlight your Libraries section. Right-click one of the default Libraries, such as My Video to bring up the Properties page and you may find that the Location is set for the root drive and connecting a device to the PC-imported images here.

Windows actually has a built-in method of moving these folders. Open an Explorer window and right-click one of the “My” folders under Libraries (My Music, My Videos, etc.) and then click Properties. You will likely see in the resulting dialog that the default location of these files is the drive where Windows was installed. You will find an option to relocate the files on the Location tab. Click the Move button and Explorer will open to help you target a new location on another drive or even on a network. Once
you have set your new location, use the Apply button to make the change.

For finding and pruning the excesses that build up on your SSD, I can’t emphasize enough the utility of the free WinDirStat program. The program gives visual and numerical indexes of your drive and where those pesky gigabytes of missing space are being eaten. The username\AppData\Local and username\AppData\Roaming are the subfolders under Users where you will find the remnants of improperly uninstalled programs, for instance. Use caution, of course. And always double-check that the data you are deleting is not associated with an installed program. You will be astonished at the number of programs you thought you uninstalled ages ago that left behind shards of themselves here and even large update EXE files and downloads.

Post subject: Re: SSD Housekeeping | Tip #2 - Clean out your AppData
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Good housekeeping tip, but if you don't mind the slight performance hit and you hate changing all the Windows defaults, move the Users folder off the SSD.

Post subject: Re: SSD Housekeeping | Tip #2 - Clean out your AppData
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm 

I am not finding the 'MOVE' button when I enter Properties and see Library Locations.
I am running Windows 7 and may have clumsily changed certain views as I have attempted multiple times without success to change the location of the default documents or pictures. In desperation I clicked Restore Defaults and now everything sucks. How do I get rid of those suckie search bars on top?