Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: External HD "seeking" whenever screen auto-turns off
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 am 

Hello, I have a external HD which is a internal WD 1TB HD I took out of my old desktop PC and use in a Thermaltake BlacX HD docking station for my laptop. I can access all my files with no problem, but I've noticed that everytime my screen auto-turns off after 20mins, a few minutes after, the HD will start making the "seeking" noise and the LED turns on like it's accessing or scanning files on that drive. The very second I move my mouse to turn the screen back on it stops. I've set it so that only my screen turns off after 20mins, the PC doesn't go to sleep or hibernation. I've done a scan using Avast and Malwarebytes and no viruses or malware was found. I use Windows 7 Home Premium if that makes any difference. Thank you for any help.

Post subject: Re: External HD "seeking" whenever screen auto-turns off
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 am 

what about the hdd indicator on the main computer? does it also start to flash? some programs have automated tasks that can be set to only run when the computer is idle and those could be accessing the drive. its possible that a defrag or other process could be running on the drive when it goes idle.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If this is on Windows Vista, 7, or 8, it maybe considering this as "idle" and is doing the background defragmenting.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 pm 

Thanks for the info, I haven't noticed if the LED light on my laptop is also flashing, I'll be sure to check the next time it does it. I was wondering is it necessary for it to be doing a background defrag when it's "idle"? Is this a option I can change to be done manually done by me when I choose to? I just ask because I sometimes leave my PC on while I sleep and the sound of the HD seeking is a bit annoying. If turning it off causes more harm than good I can live with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You'd have to turn off the defragging service I believe (but if you need a defragger, Deflagger from Piriform is a good alternative). Otherwise the background defragging is a good thing, it's so you don't ever have to touch a defragger.

If you have Windows 7/8, it knows not touch SSDs.