Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1st PC Build Advice
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 am 

Hey, I am currently working on my first build, and I kinda need some advice with some of the parts. What I am going fo in my build is a reliable Gaming/Media Server rig. What I have so far is here http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TechieTrekkie/saved/1t9Y, but I still need some advice when it comes to specific components.
First, I am kinda worried about the motherboard itself, because although I have heard some good things about it, I have also heard some bad things about it, so I was wondering if there is anyone who has had personal experience that could give me some advice for this board.
Next, I am kinda worried about the SSD's, because although speed isn't critical to me, I really want this to be a reliable build, so I really want a SSD that is not gonna fail on me. I have heard good things about both the Crucial m4 and the Samsung 840 Pro, but I am open to more options as long as they are reliable.
Finally, I need some help if anyone has any experience with the Urban series of cases, because to be it seems like an awesome case (combining similar internals of the Soprano with a little sound dampening and a nicer exterior. SInce it is a bit new, I can't find many full reviews of the case itself, but it has been long enough that idk if MaxPC is gonna make a full review of it. I really just want to make sure it is a solid case, and not too cheap or anything.
Thanks so much, and if anyone has any other suggestions I am more than open to it!

Post subject: Re: 1st PC Build Advice
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Welcome!

First things first... Samsung has good reputation for being reliable, so I would opt for them.

Second thing... Everyone has good and bad things to say about any part. If the professional reviews for it look good, I don't see why not buy it. I usually don't install the utilities anyway and drivers for motherboards are usually supplied by the chipset manufacturer anyway (and the motherboard manufacturer is just a sort of man-in-the-middle).

Lastly... Asking for personal experience in this forum is like finding a needle in a hay stack. And really, most cases are the same when it comes down to the practical ares of it. Just find a case that looks good on the outside and comfortable on the inside. Does it help to have reviews? Yes. But should it be a deal breaker? No.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I don't buy Gigabyte these days and just the way it goes. I've tried them here and there since 2004 and have never been satisfied. They still have a cult following but I still feel it's because it's one of the last big names left in the game. I don't like Asrock, but I'd purchase one of those before a Gigabyte. MSI makes good boards at a decent price and Asus seem to be always good. Since 1997 I've had ONE awkward Asus board and I'm posting from it.

All SSD's are reliable. The only reliability issues I've ever heard of were from OCZ Vertex2/3 drives with tweaker owners. I've owned several of those (running the 3 on this box) and never had a problem. Take 'em out of the box and run them. If you see some forum telling you what to tweak on them, ya better really know what you're doing and think a bit before doing it. People call OCZ Vertex2/3 users beta testers...but that's only because they chose to be. They run, don't tweak them without thorough knowledge of what you're actually doing. Most are bricking them from just updating the firmware and not reading the bold warnings. Get an OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 and you will not fail. With that, you'll still want a spindle drive for documents since you can suck up a 256G SSD pretty quick media and DL's. WD red drives are very solid and would be fine with a 2TB unit. I would NOT get the Crucial M4 at this time. OCZ and Samsung are going back and forth in pricing/sales and either would be better for the same price. I got the 256G Vector for $160 off newegg for example. Planning must include a wishlist and watching the tide IMO.

I'll go against LatiosXT here: Asking for experience with a part is not a needle in a haystack at all. Asking about a case though has varied opinions and you'll never get an answer that suits you. Not one part outside of the case, I haven't touched, fondled, or used. I have a few cases a like building in and they last decades. The hardware doesn't stick around long, but doesn't mean I haven't formed an opinion on them before they move out. I'm not the type that have used one or two products and voice my opinion. It's almost 6mo's into 2013 and can't count how much hardware has came in! The garage is becoming the grab bag of still very useful parts and can't get rid of it fast enough. If it's fairly common and doesn't cost $1,000 it's more than likely here in storage.

I'm not the needle either. This is a forum and you get all kinds here and why forums are still the place to ask questions about experience; You share knowledge. You can't ask this on Twitter or Facebook and I see the attempts every day with no answers.
--------------------------------------------------------
Now, looking at your build and past your questions...there's still issues I'd contend with.

I despise Seagate. You're worried about SOLID state drives and just picking a spindle drive with capacity and a price point that fits. Look to WD and probably not from newegg from the way they ship platter devices. I've lost sooo much stuff entrusting it to seagate drives that I'm just done with them forever. Again, the only thing I've lost from a WD drive was a raptor and being hamfisted on an already faltered AMD board with known issues. I asked for it.

If you're going to be wireless on this box, spend a little more and cut out the CM Hyper CPU cooler. The OEM cooler is fine until you start raising voltages on the CPU which is far down the OC'ing line of events. Find the fault before you cure it and you also save $40 to spend on an AC adapter vise N. N's fine but if you grow into this box and keep it more than a year, you'll more than likely find N at fault far before the OEM Intel CPU cooler. Or just hardwire the LAN, skip this, and look into the PSU.

I love Seasonic, but watch the connectors. That 620W has exactly what you want right now; today, this build. The PSU is the heart of the build and if you want to add more I don't feel unit actually allows it. I have the opinion that you go big on the PSU based upon the current plans and keep it through several upgrades. If you go larger than expected you get better efficiency for now and have room to grow; where it may truly go back to just being Bronze once you've hit it's upper tier of usage. Let's say you build this with that PSU and video card; what happens if you want to SLI or crossfire later on? Most cards above the 650 ask for both of the supplied power cables. It's just not possible with that PSU. I forgot the price, but I have a Seasonic 850X that was right around the same price and using all SLI 4 power connectors.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chumly wrote:
I'll go against LatiosXT here: Asking for experience with a part is not a needle in a haystack at all.

I meant this specifically for this forum. This is a pretty barren desert. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

good stuff chumly. I like your long posts full of knowlege. BTW, aren't you usually in the Folding forum most of the time?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh, I just want to add to Chumly's motherboard manufacturer notes...

The go-to brands in motherboards are Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, and ASRock. Everyone has good and bad things to say about them, everyone has bad experiences and good experiences. I've had a Gigabyte, an ASUS, and an MSI board and none of them gave me any real problem. The point is, these are the four brands that everyone will recommend. The ones that people generally tell you to avoid though are ECS and Foxconn. I'd also avoid Jetway (they look like a budget brand). I've heard mixed things about Biostar... and I've heard some good things from professional reviews about Zotac, but they're more about tiny computers than full desktops.