Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5064
Replace the motherboard then, and just because you may as well on Nasty's suggestion, the CPU too.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:04 am
Posts: 1035
RMA the motherboard. It is defective and is most likely DOA.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5064
And if it's still not booting, then memory.

And if it's still not booting... power supply :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am
Posts: 11075
Location: Home Sweet Home
When you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, did you unplug the computer from the wall? If not, you didn't reset the cmos. You should have unplugged the computer from the wall, pushed the start button for about 20 seconds, then pop the battery or use the shorting jumper to reset the cmos. Your computer never really turns all the way off, it is like your TV instant on because there is a small amount of juice still running in your board.

Nasty


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:18 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
Nastyman wrote:
When you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, did you unplug the computer from the wall? If not, you didn't reset the cmos. You should have unplugged the computer from the wall, pushed the start button for about 20 seconds, then pop the battery or use the shorting jumper to reset the cmos. Your computer never really turns all the way off, it is like your TV instant on because there is a small amount of juice still running in your board.

Nasty


I didn't unplug it from the wall. I'll try that.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
Stephen wrote:
Nastyman wrote:
When you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, did you unplug the computer from the wall? If not, you didn't reset the cmos. You should have unplugged the computer from the wall, pushed the start button for about 20 seconds, then pop the battery or use the shorting jumper to reset the cmos. Your computer never really turns all the way off, it is like your TV instant on because there is a small amount of juice still running in your board.

Nasty


I didn't unplug it from the wall. I'll try that.


No luck.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am
Posts: 11075
Location: Home Sweet Home
Time to RMA parts I guess, as in motherboard and cpu.

Nasty


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
Nastyman wrote:
Time to RMA parts I guess, as in motherboard and cpu.

Nasty


Yup!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
I RMA'd it today!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am
Posts: 11075
Location: Home Sweet Home
Keep us informed when things get put back together! :D

Nasty


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
I received the repaired motherboard back, built the compute with no problems. One thing that seems a bit odd – the motherboard temps are about 6 degrees higher at idle than the pro version of the board. Same case, same case fans, different CPU and different CPU cooler, different graphics card, same memory. The CPU temps are essentially the same. The pro board mobo temps at idle are running 30c, while this mobo temps are running at idle at 36c. Is this typical?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:07 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am
Posts: 11075
Location: Home Sweet Home
Not all electronic parts are created equal. They have build tolerances like anything else, so your new board may have more resistance in the end than your premium board. I think it is called reluctance, the sum total resistance of all electronic parts in a circuit. I have been out of school for fifty years, so I could be wrong....God! Getting old sucks!

I wouldn't worry about the temp differential.

Nasty


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
Nastyman wrote:
Not all electronic parts are created equal. They have build tolerances like anything else, so your new board may have more resistance in the end than your premium board. I think it is called reluctance, the sum total resistance of all electronic parts in a circuit. I have been out of school for fifty years, so I could be wrong....God! Getting old sucks!

I wouldn't worry about the temp differential.

Nasty


Thanks.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 636
Location: Richmond, Va.
Stephen wrote:
joyand wrote:
Might be the standoffs shorting the mobo. I would test if it posts outside of the case.


Tried that. Didn't post outside the case.


On your CPU connection from the PSU, are you using a 4 Pin or 8 pin connection ? With that processor, it should be 8 Pin. Not sure of what the requirements are on the Processor and what is provided by the PSU either.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:26 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Powell Wyoming
Good to hear its working! sorry i was late to the party. rule of thumb with most builds, no post sounds at all indicate short, damaged mobo, or damaged(or big enough) psu... at least 99% of the time.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 636
Location: Richmond, Va.
With that Mobo, if the LED at the CPU is lit, than that is where the fault is. If it had been lit at the Memory, then that would have been the issue. Recheck you CPU and make sure there are no bent pins in the socket Also, make sure that the 8 Pin CPU connector is frmly plugged in as well as the 24 pin ATX connector and above all else the CPU is in the socket correctly ( I have seen it otherwise ).


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Posts: 535
coastie65 wrote:
With that Mobo, if the LED at the CPU is lit, than that is where the fault is. If it had been lit at the Memory, then that would have been the issue. Recheck you CPU and make sure there are no bent pins in the socket Also, make sure that the 8 Pin CPU connector is frmly plugged in as well as the 24 pin ATX connector and above all else the CPU is in the socket correctly ( I have seen it otherwise ).



Did all that, RMA's board, got it back repaired, and am now up and running fine......


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group