Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disc Drive unrecognized
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi! I have a PC with a LG Blue Ray (ROM) and when I start the PC up it recognizes the drive, but if I put it in sleep mode then wake it up it doesn't see it at all. The only thing that works is restarting the PC. Would appreciate some help! :)

Post subject: Re: Disc Drive unrecognized
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-dev ... lorer.html

Either upgrade the firmware, use some other SATA interface, or get another Blu-Ray drive not from LG.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

This is a long shot, but it might fix it!

Start.... in the search box Type "regedit" with out quotes

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK! Thanks for the help! I'll try out the suggestions and let you know!

The drive that has the issue is in my parents PC, its a LG Blu Ray ROM (only $40)

My PC has a LG Blu Ray Burner, I paid $130 for it and it has an issue as well, sometimes I will put a disc in the drive and it doesn't recognize it, ejecting the disc and reinserting fixes it 99% of the time. I checked for drivers but as far as LG is concerned my model doesn't exist.

As a side question while I'm here I wanted to ask, (don't bother answering if you'd rather I start another thread) would adding two more 3GB GTX 580's to my PC paired with a i7 3930K be worth it for about $250 for both cards, for 3 way SLI.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ZombieKiller wrote:
OK! Thanks for the help! I'll try out the suggestions and let you know!

The drive that has the issue is in my parents PC, its a LG Blu Ray ROM (only $40)

My PC has a LG Blu Ray Burner, I paid $130 for it and it has an issue as well, sometimes I will put a disc in the drive and it doesn't recognize it, ejecting the disc and reinserting fixes it 99% of the time. I checked for drivers but as far as LG is concerned my model doesn't exist.

As a side question while I'm here I wanted to ask, (don't bother answering if you'd rather I start another thread) would adding two more 3GB GTX 580's to my PC paired with a i7 3930K be worth it for about $250 for both cards, for 3 way SLI.

i would go for it,but it all depends on your power supply..i wouldn't use anything less than a good 850w..i myself am a Corsair fanboy.

i'm running 2 ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card....in SLI with an Corsair HX 850w psu.

with 3 GTX 580's i would feel comfortable with a 1000w or a 1200w psu..myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Meh, I wouldn't do that unless you had a large sized monitor to push or are doing Surround Display (whatever that's called). If you're driving a game on a single 1920x1200 or lower monitor, a single GTX 580 is more than enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you using the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard? BTW, what motherboard do you have in this build?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:50 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

For the past six years I have been using dual video cards on a 23 inch monitor and can run the latest games maxed out for graphics. I tried the same settings with one card and had to go down to medium settings for the same frame rate, so yes it pays for two video cards and no more. Three would be a total waste of money as the frame rate only goes up another 10%....sure not worth 250 to me.....to you maybe. I have two 6970s in crossfire for gaming.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey! sorry for the late reply!
Both cards come together, not individually, so I either buy both or none. I have a 1200W PSU, so I'm good with the PSU, and I shouldn't have a CPU bottleneck with my i7 3930K.
PSU http://www.raidmax.com/psu/rx_1200ae.html
So I have decided to get them, after checking benchmarks, I will have a nice gain with a 3rd GTX 580 as long as I am not CPU limited, which I don't think will be an issue.
I have a 8+6 pin cable coming out of the PSU and was curious if there is any 6 pin and 8 pin cables I could buy that are wrapped together? And should I buy this? http://www.evga.com/articles/00600/
And any suggestions for running 3 way SLI?
Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

And my BIOS are Revision 1202
MoBo is the Rampage IV Extreme
I have not updated them because of the CAP conversion thing and don't want to cause issues, the cards are PCI-E 2.0 not 3.0, so they should run fine with out an update. Right?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

My current connector looks very close this. except mine comes out of the PSU and cannot be detached.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812706014
should I just use two individual connectors like these?

6 pin http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812162036

8 pin http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812162033

Above both 6 pin plugs on my PSU it is labeled SATA accessories, or something like that. That doesn't matter does it?
Don't see any other place for them, and my PSU advertises doing Tri SLI on the GTX 480/580.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
For the past six years I have been using dual video cards on a 23 inch monitor and can run the latest games maxed out for graphics. I tried the same settings with one card and had to go down to medium settings for the same frame rate, so yes it pays for two video cards and no more. Three would be a total waste of money as the frame rate only goes up another 10%....sure not worth 250 to me.....to you maybe. I have two 6970s in crossfire for gaming.

Nasty

It depends on what that FPS was. If you were talking like 100+ FPS, then half of that being 50+ FPS, then you're not really losing much. Since most people have a 60Hz monitor, pushing frame rates past 60FPS is sort of a waste because you're not going to see it, ever. As in, those frames are either causing screen tears or dropped via vsync. The only thing multi-video card setups do for you these days is buy you time until the next upgrade, as the saying goes "if you want next gen performance with current gen features"... Or if you're pushing resolutions higher than 1920x1200, when single cards start to choke.

Not to mention the whole micro-stuttering issue, if you're sensitive to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:08 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When you hook up your video cards don't forget to use the bridge connectors supplied by the video card and in some cases the motherboard manufactures. In your case you will need two. The middle card gets two connectors while the two end cards only get one. It doesn't matter which slots you use in the two end cards. If you don't use the bridge connectors the cards won't run at optimum capacity, may not run at all in SLI.

All you need to get are the proper pcie connectors connected to your card ( 6 & 8 pin connectors) to supply the 12 volts and proper amperage. The plugs you showed in your links will do the job.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:35 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK! Thanks for the response!
So it will look like this right? All PCI-E slots taken except for the very bottom one, doesn't matter what order they go in, right?
http://picload.org/image/ooolro/zb_201.jpg
Roughly anyway, one will be EVGA (my current card) and the other two Zotac, both 3GB.
I have a 2 Way SLI bridge as well as a 3 way and 4 way. My 4 way though was unfortunately manufactured wrong and two of the connectors are a little sideways.
My 3 way bridge though is fine, looks like this.
http://www.evga.com/products/images/gal ... 1_XL_1.jpg
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/atta ... 1309415301
Correct type right? I don't understand where you said I will need two.
Also I am running my PC off a power bar that runs my TV, PS3, 360, Wii U, lamp and my old laptop. Will that be fine? Curious as I will probably be using another 500W with both these cards.
The outlet I am using with the power bar I recently had routed to its own circuit breaker so theres I think 2800W dedicated to that one wall outlet.
Thanks for your help! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

BTW, what exactly is Micro stuttering?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

ZombieKiller wrote:
Correct type right? I don't understand where you said I will need two.

You should only use the 3-way. Nasty is saying you can hook it up using two 2-Way cables but I don't think that's how it works.

Quote:
Also I am running my PC off a power bar that runs my TV, PS3, 360, Wii U, lamp and my old laptop. Will that be fine? Curious as I will probably be using another 500W with both these cards.
The outlet I am using with the power bar I recently had routed to its own circuit breaker so theres I think 2800W dedicated to that one wall outlet.

As long as you're not running them all at the same time, you should be fine. Also I'm willing to wager your system isn't going to use up any more than 600W if you're playing a game.

ZombieKiller wrote:
BTW, what exactly is Micro stuttering?

Layman's explanation: The perception of slower frame rates than what is reported by FPS monitoring tools such as FRAPS.

Technical explanation: Microstuttering is an issue between cards to synchronize when to spit out a frame to the display properly. This can't be fixed with frame rate and refresh rate tweaks like triple buffering or vsync. Both SLI and Crossfire default their render modes to alternate frame rendering (where each card renders a frame in succession) because it's a universal solution. In any case, since the setup has to show frames as they were rendered (i.e., in a 3-way case, you're going to get frames from cards 1, 2, and 3, no matter what), whenever that card is done, it's displayed on the screen.

The problem lies in that frames aren't always rendered in the same amount of time and that you can't predict the future (i.e., cards can't 'pre-render'). As a scenario, say card 1 renders a frame at 20ms. 5ms later, card two is done and spits the frame out. Then 20ms later, card one spits out another frame. Then card two spits out a frame 5ms later.

So while in essence, both cards are running at 50FPS (both are spitting a frame out in 20ms intervals), in realty, you perceive this as a lower FPS, probably around 40FPS since the human brain can't process a events 5ms apart so the two frames appear as one. Essentially, you have a mixture of very fast frame rates with very slow. And because FPS monitoring tools does an an average, it won't catch this variance.

Or you can watch this video:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:20 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I forgot that SLI and Crossfire setups are different, here is Crossfire using the ribbon connectors to connect three cards:

http://www.google.com/search?q=amd+triple+video+cards+in+crossfire&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AguiUbSlEarb0QGn9oC4Aw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=950#facrc=_&imgrc=2aiYMQ1PaEMllM%3A%3Bxc6fJzlV_9adaM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fexempt.files.wordpress.com%252F2010%252F08%252Famd_radeon_hd_5870_triple_crossfirex.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.hardwareheaven.com%252Famd-graphics-cards%252F208623-calling-all-twin-crossfire-connected-hd6xxx-cards.html%3B600%3B400

I use AMD cards and have two in Crossfire, that works for me :D

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I won both cards for $330 on Ebay just now!!!! I'm totally excited!!! Sad part is... they are a birthday present... my birthday is next month... got to wait... oh well I got them for free!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:59 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Sounds like you just got two busted cards....who would just give them away if they worked?

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Nastyman wrote:
Sounds like you just got two busted cards....who would just give them away if they worked?

Nasty

Ha ha yeah! :P
The guy has some pretty good sales! Along with 100% feedback! Got them at the right time with people all hyped up about the 780 and the 600 cards going a bit cheaper!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zotac-NVIDIA-Ge ... fresh=true