Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Finishing up a new build. Corsair 550D case, I-5 3570 Ivy Bridge CPU, ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 mobo, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB), Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

When I turn it on, the cpu fan, the graphics card, and one of the three case fans turn on for a few seconds, and then turn off - and keep repeating. Two case fans don't turn on. All case fans are plugged into the mobo. The CPU led light on the mobo is red. Memory light ok.

No beeps.

I tried with no memory, no sound card, no graphics cards, no hdd. still won't post

I reseated the HSF - same problem. Any ideas?

Last edited by Stephen on Sun May 26, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New build - won't boot.
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

First make sure all the connections are seated properly. And check if there's some reason behind those LEDs unless they're just power indicators.

Then do this in order (turning on between steps):
  • Replace the power supply.
  • Try with one stick of memory. If both fail, replace memory
  • If memory is replaced and it still won't boot, replace motherboard.

And I suppose for the sake of it: are you sure the socket is OK? If you bent any pins while reseating and/or anything is burnt, then that's your problem (and unfortunately, it's not covered by warranty)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
First make sure all the connections are seated properly. And check if there's some reason behind those LEDs unless they're just power indicators.

Then do this in order (turning on between steps):
  • Replace the power supply.
  • Try with one stick of memory. If both fail, replace memory
  • If memory is replaced and it still won't boot, replace motherboard.

And I suppose for the sake of it: are you sure the socket is OK? If you bent any pins while reseating and/or anything is burnt, then that's your problem (and unfortunately, it's not covered by warranty)

PSU is has been fine - pulled it out of another pc. It's fairly new and has shown no problems. I pulled all the memory and it still does then same thing. I reseated the CPU and HSF.

I push the power button and the power button turns green, the CPU LED is red, the CPU fans spins up, and then everything shuts down. No beeps. A few seconds later it turns back on and repeats the cycle. Never posys.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Verify the power supply is actually working. I.e., go plug it back in the PC that you know it worked on. Then you can rule it out.

And while we're at it, what is the power supply anyway?

Also you keep saying you pulled the memory out completely, a computer doesn't POST if it has no memory. So put one stick back in and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
Verify the power supply is actually working. I.e., go plug it back in the PC that you know it worked on. Then you can rule it out.

And while we're at it, what is the power supply anyway?

Also you keep saying you pulled the memory out completely, a computer doesn't POST if it has no memory. So put one stick back in and see what happens.

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W, and it works just fine in the other computer. I've tried with memory and without memory - same problem.

One edit - the CPU fan and one case fan spin up, while two case fans do not. All are plugged into the mobo.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:29 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Are you sure the power for the cpu is plugged in? No power to the cpu, no boot. Do you have the cpu fan plugged into the correct header....if not no boot.

I would take the board out of the case and place it on an insulated surface. Plug in the 24 pin and the cpu plug ( 4/8 pin ), one video card with power plug in, one stick of ram, the start button plug. Push the start button on the case and if you get a post you were shorting the motherboard out in the case.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:11 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nastyman wrote:
Are you sure the power for the cpu is plugged in? No power to the cpu, no boot. Do you have the cpu fan plugged into the correct header....if not no boot.

I would take the board out of the case and place it on an insulated surface. Plug in the 24 pin and the cpu plug ( 4/8 pin ), one video card with power plug in, one stick of ram, the start button plug. Push the start button on the case and if you get a post you were shorting the motherboard out in the case.

Nasty

I tried the above. Same result.

Update - I completely rebuilt it. I checked the CPU when I re-built - no bent pins.

I removed the on-board battery for 30 seconds, and then put it back.

When I push the power button now, the components power up and stay powered, but nothing shows on the monitor and nothing indicating it is posting.

Any more suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

... Well okay, I'm just going to say this again:

1. Replace power supply (power supply issues will mask hardware problems, even if you think the power supply is okay)
2. Replace memory
3. Replace motherboard

It also would help if you have the motherboard speaker plugged in because if it computer is beeping at you, you can use that to figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:13 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
... Well okay, I'm just going to say this again:

1. Replace power supply (power supply issues will mask hardware problems, even if you think the power supply is okay)
2. Replace memory
3. Replace motherboard

It also would help if you have the motherboard speaker plugged in because if it computer is beeping at you, you can use that to figure out what's going on.

Motherboard speaker is plugged - nothing is beeping. PSU works in another computer that has more of a system draw than the new one, for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No beeping indicates a power problem. Get a new power supply.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I would flash the system to the latest BIOS, it could be that the system is not seeing the CPU correctly!

::EDIT::

What is being displayed in the Q-Code display also? That could help troubleshoot a lot!

::EDIT 2::

ASUS P8Z77-V
2-17
Chapter 2
Onboard LEDs
POST State LEDs
The POST State LEDs of CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and HDD indicate key components
status during POST (Power-on Self Test). If an error is found , the LED next to the
error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design
provides an intuitional way to locate the root problem within a second.

Last edited by nsvander on Sun May 26, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

nsvander wrote:
I would flash the system to the latest BIOS, it could be that the system is not seeing the CPU correctly!

::EDIT::

What is being displayed in the Q-Code display also? That could help troubleshoot a lot!

It's a Z77 board, it should be fine with an Ivy Bridge chip... and the motherboard doesn't have a Q-Code display.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

You got to my post before I found something else and edited again Latios.

According to the manual, the CPU LED being on indicates there is an issue with the CPU.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

However I'm under the belief that the CPU is never the case (Intel sells these things by the crapload, so they have to have a tiny defect rate). I mean, this could be the one in a million defective chip, but I'd like to go under the assumption this isn't the case.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yes I am of the same impression, I have never in all the years I have been building received a DOA CPU.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

nsvander wrote:
You got to my post before I found something else and edited again Latios.

According to the manual, the CPU LED being on indicates there is an issue with the CPU.

I'm pulling a PSU out of another computer to test. If it's not the PSU, and the CPU isn't defective regardless of the light, am I safe in assuming it's a motherboard issue?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

If you are going to rma the motherboard, do the cpu too, that way you are covered for the major parts in the computer.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Update: I removed the on-board battery again, this time for about 20 minutes. Before when I tried to update the bios using the usb back port and the mobo bios update button, the green light would flash three or four times and then stay lit without blinking, which the support website indicates it didn't work. After pulling the battery for 20 minutes I tried this approach again. It appeared to work, at least according to how the green light flashed. So it appears I may have the latest bios. Still wouldn't post. I tried a different memory stick, one that is working with another similar ASUS board. No luck.

I swapped out the PSU with one that is working with another computer that has a similar ASUS board - again no luck.

Given the above, is it most likely the mobo? The CPU? Both?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 pm 

Might be the standoffs shorting the mobo. I would test if it posts outside of the case.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:39 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

joyand wrote:
Might be the standoffs shorting the mobo. I would test if it posts outside of the case.

Tried that. Didn't post outside the case.