Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: adding another hdd with Ubuntu
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I bought a 1tb HDD. I have my OS on an SSD. My plan was to divide the HDD in half for when I want to add Windows later on. I also want the files that I download and install to be in this HDD. For example, I want to download STEAM and have it run from this HDD. I put the .deb file in the HDD and let it download updates. How do I know it is updating into the HDD and not the SSD?

I don't know much about the terminology so I'm kind of confused about how to go about this. My initial install is a failure. I plan of re-formatting it today using NTFS instead of the FAT32. Is there something I should change in BIOS if I run a SSD/HDD setup like this? I see things like master, slave but I don't know what they mean.

So help me with the 2 questions above; it's driving me up the wall.

Post subject: Re: adding another hdd with Ubuntu
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You really don't have much control with where things are installed to, other then maybe something in the home folder.

deb files (and rpm files for that matter) sort of work like a zip archive that's already set to extract into existing folders after dependencies are met if that explains how things get installed. You can probably put certain directories onto your drive, but it ends up being a lot of work...

There's nothing you change in the bios to make a dual boot. The installer will just see the drive and setup any dual boot from there.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Regarding Steam stuff... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=237800

If you already have it installed, then I'm pretty sure the symlink trick still works. Only the command is ln -s [symlink name] [destination]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I think I got it working. No troubles so far. I partitioned into one NTFS for windows and an ext4 for the ubuntu stuff. I then made the home mount point on the ext4. I need to see if I can move some of the other mount points from the ssd to the HDD. I think someone said that you should mount the /var and the tmp folders to the HDD. I'll have to look that up.