Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ...well, this S.M.A.R.T.s...
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 am 

Try to make this quick. After unplugging my comp do to a thunderstorm yesterday, it refused to boot due to S.M.A.R.T. errors on the main drive (BIOS caught it). A quick visit to Newegg later, and a new hard drive is on its way. The question is this: Should I do a fresh re-install, or a clone of the drive? It seemed to be running speedy right up to the point it didn't anymore, but this Win7 install dates back to the Sandy Bridge recall fiasco.

-theboogeyman

Post subject: Re: ...well, this S.M.A.R.T.s...
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:04 am 

Really? Nobody?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So the thunderstorm was just a coincidence? Do HDDs fail randomly?

What's the SB fiasco?

A clean install is the best way. Start from a fresh slate. Why patch up old clothes with new cloth (the wineskin saying probably won't make any sense to you all)? I hope you backed up the other drive often.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 am 

Yes, the thunderstorm was a coincidence. I don't shut down or restart the computer very often (once a month). Since it had too many errors, the BIOS threw a SMART error and wouldn't let it boot. The SB fiasco was a year or two ago when Intel found out the SATA ports on the brand new boards could possibly fail and recall them all - which was when I did the fresh Windows install. I can still access the data on the drive - which is why I asked about cloning it. I can swap out the drives in 5 minutes and be good to do. A fresh install (and all the assorted programs) nukes my entire holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I read that the SMART errors don't affect the cloning process so I think you can do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 am 

phillyj wrote:
I read that the SMART errors don't affect the cloning process so I think you can do that.

Hope so...never cloned the actual live Windows drive before *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:32 am 

You can probably turn off smart in the bios so you don't get stuck with that error, it doesn't do anything to help your failing drive, but you'll be able to access it without the bios preventing you from booting up windows. Make a back up asap before you start doing anything else with this drive. If this drive fails during your attempt to clone it....you'll lose your data

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 am 

Joe C wrote:
You can probably turn off smart in the bios so you don't get stuck with that error, it doesn't do anything to help your failing drive, but you'll be able to access it without the bios preventing you from booting up windows. Make a back up asap before you start doing anything else with this drive. If this drive fails during your attempt to clone it....you'll lose your data

Managed to clone two of the three partitions. The third one gets to 96% and gives me a "clone error - 22 - broken pipe." Using Macrium Reflect. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 am 

boogeyman8 wrote:

Managed to clone two of the three partitions. The third one gets to 96% and gives me a "clone error - 22 - broken pipe." Using Macrium Reflect. Any ideas?

The drive most likely has an un-readable area, Could be caused from a physical head crash on the platter or something of that nature. see if you can tell Marcrium Reflect to ignore that area of the drive....if there's any or was any data in that area in might be un-recoverable