Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Netbook suggestions
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm 

So I've currently got an old Asus EeePC 900HA from around 2008. It has a 1600 Mhz Intel Atom processor and I've maxxed it out at 2 gigs of RAM. It has a puny 160 GB hard drive. It also has a 8.9" screen and weighs in at around 2.5 pounds. I've squeezed Windows Vista onto it and it still works pretty good, but it is REALLY slow. So I'm looking to upgrade.

I've never really liked the keyboard on the Asus, so I'd like something just a tiny bit larger. I'm thinking 10-11" screen.

I HATE Windows 8, so I'd prefer something with Win 7 on it.

Do any of you guys have suggestions? I've looked in the local Fry's and everything they have is Win8.

I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible.

I use it mostly for MS Lync sessions and web based apps.

Post subject: Re: Netbook suggestions
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't have Windows 8 now. If you don't like the Start Screen, just get a Start Menu thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Well, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't have Windows 8 now. If you don't like the Start Screen, just get a Start Menu thing.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding out. I don't mind downgrading to Win7 since I have some Win7 install disks still, I just don't want to get stuck without drivers for the hardware. Already had that happen once with a desktop.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all use the same driver framework. i.e., drivers for any one of these will work with the other two.

Besides, just look up the one you're interested in and go online later.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all use the same driver framework. i.e., drivers for any one of these will work with the other two.

I'm thinking about this HP. http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/C2K41UA?HP-Pavilion-dm1-4310nr-Notebook-PC

Anyone else have one? Any thoughts? I've used a lot of HP products in the past and have (almost) always been pleased with them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm 

macbook pro all the way!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

wabyrd wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:

I'm thinking about this HP. http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/C2K41UA?HP-Pavilion-dm1-4310nr-Notebook-PC

Anyone else have one? Any thoughts? I've used a lot of HP products in the past and have (almost) always been pleased with them.

Ok, I think this is what you were looking at since your link didn't work for me:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-DM1-4 ... ewpoints=0

Looks nice. 3.5 lbs, 11.6 inch screen, Win8 (you can replace if you really want), AMD E2-1800 APU, 4 gig ram, 500gb HDD, and 4G! I guess you need 4G if you're traveling all over the place.

Only thing bad is with HP laptop hinges. My bro's (more expensive $800) HP got a loose hinge after a year but it didn't break apart...yet. My cheaper $500 HP doesn't have much of a problem. Not much else I can tell you.

Oh, don't listen to AHMFIC, mac book is beyond your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

phillyj wrote:
wabyrd wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:

Ok, I think this is what you were looking at since your link didn't work for me:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-DM1-4 ... ewpoints=0

Looks nice. 3.5 lbs, 11.6 inch screen, Win8 (you can replace if you really want), AMD E2-1800 APU, 4 gig ram, 500gb HDD, and 4G! I guess you need 4G if you're traveling all over the place.

Only thing bad is with HP laptop hinges. My bro's (more expensive $800) HP got a loose hinge after a year but it didn't break apart...yet. My cheaper $500 HP doesn't have much of a problem. Not much else I can tell you.

Oh, don't listen to AHMFIC, mac book is beyond your budget.

Yeah, that's pretty much the one I got. I really like the convenience of the 4G built in and I have pretty good TMo coverage in the places I go to.

I never even considered a Mac Book. I'm PC and Android. I've never liked Apple, their products, or their business practices.