Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to disable access to administrative shares?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 am 

I have a Android 4.2 Tablet that I am easily able to access administrative shares (ADMIN$, C$, D$, IPC$) through the file explorer. It doesn't seem to be a good idea that I am easily able to write over these partitions since the touch interface is easy to mispress. I've tried going to Manage to check my share folders and try to not share it, but it doesn't give me a way to do so. Is there a way I can stop sharing these?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Post subject: Re: How to disable access to administrative shares?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Have you attempted to write to those folders? Just because you have access to it and can see the contents, doesn't mean you have write permissions.

Even if you had write permissions, research into it further, because if you disable them there might be a chance you'll fudge up the OS and unlike a desktop, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to reinstall a fudged Android.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:28 am 

I was able to delete folders from them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Okay so I think I'm confused here. Are those folders on your PC or Android device? If it's your PC, you have to do that in your PC in the folder's Properties -> Sharing tab. If it's on the Android device, I wouldn't touch it unless you know exactly what those folders are there for.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Okay so I think I'm confused here. Are those folders on your PC or Android device? If it's your PC, you have to do that in your PC in the folder's Properties -> Sharing tab. If it's on the Android device, I wouldn't touch it unless you know exactly what those folders are there for.

O sorry, I was trying to stream videos to my tablet. All the drives are on my computer, but I can access them remotely on my tablet too. That's why I think it's risky to have that kind of access and permissions to write over those files. They don't even go to the recycling bin if I accidentally delete them. I only want to stream media to my tablet and not my core Windows files.

As far as sharing permissions go, if I right click my partitions on my computer, it will tell me it's "Not shared". But through computer management>shared folders>shares it tells me it's default shared and there's no way from what I could tell to stop sharing.