Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Motherboards/BIOS that support "HDD Password"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 am 

I've always bought Intel branded motherboards. A big reason is because they always support "HDD Password" feature. Plus I got great, reliable performance from Intel boards and never saw a need to go elsewhere.

Now that Intel is not going to be making motherboards anymore :( Does anyone know any quality brands that support "HDD Password"? I talked with Asus tech support and was told their boards do not support HDD Password (or at least none of the literature talks about it and the guy I talked to didn't think they do). I use Linux and have been told by numerous people that Gigabyte is hostile to Linux, so I don't want to support them.

Any quality brands that support HDD Password that I can switch to for my next Motherboard when Intel is no longer available?

Post subject: Re: Motherboards/BIOS that support "HDD Password"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 am 

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This sort of thing is practically non-existent on desktops. Your only real hope is either get a laptop (practically all laptops can do HDD passwords) or use boot loader level partition encrpytion. I don't know what's available for Linux, so good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

No one offers it because it's old hat. The HDD password was hardware level and was really a "feel-good" thing because any computer built since 1999 could get into it in about 20 minutes. If I stole your password protected HDD, it's only one roadblock that I could chew on all I want because I have it in my hand. A free Hex editor can still just open it all wide up. It was a good thought but it just never worked out. If you crack one key, you have it all.

What you should really look into is basic data encryption for the drive and not just a password to get into the vault. I still find it hard to get into even Win7 Pro encryption. It's possible, but you have to know exactly what you want to aim at or it's pretty freaking hard; otherwise you're basically trying to find a key to each individual file. Trying to be vague here to not break rules...but there is indeed a reason why what you want is not good. I have an old abit board with a "key". I used it with another "secure" drive...was in it in about 3 minutes and got their files back. And I'm not a hacker by any means, so it's pretty simple stuff.

Encrypt your data, not the drive. There's a lot of good stuff out there to use and is much more up to date. If you're really worried about data, primacord with a remote det button....and re-evaluate what you're doing please.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 am 

A lot of SSDs automatically encrypt the data with AES. Combined with a strong HDD Password, not to mention policies that force reboot and/or wait period after 3 wrong answers, and you have a secure system. HDD/ATA Passwords work when implemented correctly. If the data are not encrypted and just the drive is locked, yeah it's not secure but this is not what I'm after.

I think why they are not available is because nobody seems to care about security in the DIY desktop community. This is a shame. The only motherboard vendor that provided this option is/was Intel. It's so disappointing that they won't be making motherboards anymore cause every other motherboard vendor is inferior IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This option doesn't exist on very many desktops period. Not to mention Microsoft already provides a solution on the partition level and there's always TrueCrypt if you need to stash something away.

And honestly, that might be a better solution because hard drive passwords may only grant/deny access. They may not encrypt. Since this was a thing way back at least 2004, I wouldn't expect processing power to be good enough to do real-time decrypting. Besides: http://hackaday.com/2011/02/18/hard-dri ... -recovery/