Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: i7 differences
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 am 

I have been thinking about the new computer I will build in the coming months. Looking at the Intel i7 cpus, I have just about decided on the i7 3770, but not which model. There are the 3770, 3770s, and 3770k. The s model is a little lower clock speed and lower tdp rating. The other two are identical in specs according to newegg. Is the k model one with an unlocked cpu multiplier or something. I can't figure out the differences between them to justify the higher price of the k model.

Post subject: Re: i7 differences
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Honestly, unless your spending a ton of time in stuff like Photoshop or other heavily multi-threaded applications, save some scratch and go for a i5 3570K, it'll do just everything a 3770 will do but save you some money and the 3570K is highly overclockable with the right cooler on top of it, I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....

Games for the most part dont' scale past 2 cores let alone 4, however with that said the i5 will serve just about 90% of the population, the other 10%....are people who do massive editing, etc. on their desktops.

FYI,

3770 = Standard Locked Multiplier
3770K = Unlocked Multiplier (Just about anything from Intel with a K at the end is unlocked like the 3570K)
3770S = Low Power Version with a lower TDP for cooler operation, loses some horsepower too

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An unlocked multiplier allows you to change the clock multiplier past stock. All other models allow you to lower the clock multiplier. So the only way to overclock non K models is to increase the reference clock.

The reason why they're more expensive is because back in the day, all processors had unlocked multipliers. But then some asshats decided to buy the cheapest chip and sell the system as if it were using the most expensive part by jacking up the multiplier. So processor manufacturers locked it, and now it's a premium feature.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Is the k model one with an unlocked cpu multiplier or something. I can't figure out the differences between them to justify the higher price of the k model.

To answer your question, Yes, the 3770k has an unlocked multiplier and it is for that very reason that the "k" version is so much more.

with the stock 3770, the speed of the CPU is pretty much set and can't be changed (technically, there are ways to increase the speed but it's pretty cumbersome and you won't be able to speed up the CPU too much). The 3770k, on the other hand, has the unlocked multiplier which allows people to increase the CPU speed (overclock) much more easily and to achieve much higher speeds. Intel is essentially charging you for the ability to increase the CPU speed. For enthusiasts, the money is considered well spent.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I want to add a few things to clarify things.

• You can overclock any processor. Not just the K versions
  • What makes the K versions more "overclockable" is the unlocked multiplier. This only affects the CPU.
  • Otherwise, you have to overclock the BCLK. However if you do this, you overclock everything (or at least the memory controller as well), so overclocking the BCLK is less stable than just increasing the multiplier.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
I want to add a few things to clarify things.

• You can overclock any processor. Not just the K versions
  • What makes the K versions more "overclockable" is the unlocked multiplier. This only affects the CPU.
  • Otherwise, you have to overclock the BCLK. However if you do this, you overclock everything (or at least the memory controller as well), so overclocking the BCLK is less stable than just increasing the multiplier.

Very true, I have a i7 950 at 4Ghz, but to do that I had to crank up the bclk, from 133Mhz to 167Mhz, the memory speed went up, as did the PCI-E etc. etc. etc. however on my i5 3570K system, ratcheted up the multiplier to 42 so it runs at 4.2Ghz but nothing else went up, I find it stable too. then again so is the i7 but it's got a massive heatsink/cooler on it cause the old Bloomfield, runs hot as it is.