Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: As gizmos get "smarter"...
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I came across a somewhat scary revelation with the future of electronics in general, whether it be your TV, your phone, or even your motherboard. Just for fun, I decided to play around with the functions that make my smart TV "smart". Mostly just seeing if I could use it to access my media streaming stuff rather than going through the PS3.

Now it could be that it's just Samsung (the brand I went with), but the TV had issues with some of the files that it couldn't play. It'd hang and all that. That's when I realized... are these smart features really doing more harm than good? I'd like to be naive and think that the TV should just be that, a TV. An output device that only has hardline inputs. And such devices shouldn't really be exposed to the internet. Like I'm paranoid that Samsung's firmware isn't up to snuff with the horrors of the internet, and one day before anyone realizes it, some hacker hijacks the camera on the TV.

As convenient as some of these features are... I don't know. I think some devices shouldn't go beyond their intended functionality. Or at least if they're going to, use something that's proven.

Post subject: Re: As gizmos get "smarter"...
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I think if they'd iron out the features and make sure they're 99% working (I've been working with CE devices long enough to know that nothing is ever 100%) then I think it would be better.

The problem is most companies have rushed to market and figure they can fix issues later.

Now I'm having to update my TV... great!

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: Re: As gizmos get "smarter"...
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What really bugs me about my TV is that it's actually upgradable. Yes, the smarts in the TV you can replace with a future version. I mean, it's cool and all that I don't have to buy a whole another TV because most of the TV's features are done on some SoC, but still.