Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Setting up a wireless network on a car?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:17 am 

Is this possible? Buy a wireless router and install it on a car so that I can use a tablet anytime I`m traveling, even using it like a GPS if they are so equipped?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Setting up a wireless network on a car?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you want to access the internet... then no. You'll have to get a mobile hotspot from a cellphone company.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 am 

I`m not sure if that is the question? I`m interested in WIFI at this time, let me explain, I was looking at this tablet and noticed that it had GPS capabilities? it had the gps module built in, all you had to do was activate it, d/l the proper map app and it would work as a regular gps unit but, I found out, that it needed something like a smartphone to get connected to the wifi so it could work properly? I also found out that the phone companies would disconnect you if you keep your phone in a tethered connection with another unit? and I was told that the smartphones did not have enough power (GB juice?) to keep the connection live for a long trip? I hope that it is more clear what I`m trying to do?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you have a smartphone, get a mount and a car charger and you'll be set.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

I went to 4 different places and I was told in all of them that the phone companies would cut the connection soon as they noticed the tethering with my tablet, I guess they can tell that the phone is being used for an **illegal** purpose?? and also most smartphones don`t have the gigabites to stay on for a long trip? like it takes me about 16 hours to get back home?? hence the request for a way to connect a wifi router to a car?? I like to take long trips....... :lol:

Thanks for any other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What are you trying to do exactly? Because from what I can tell, you want to use your tablet's GPS by tethering into your smartphone's cellular internet service. If it isn't a smartphone, you can't do that regardless. And if it is a smartphone, it already has a GPS application that you can use for the purpose of being a navigation system and it's much safer to use the smartphone because you can mount it at eye level.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm 

What I`m trying to do exactly is create a wifi connection in my car and through that connection make my tablet GPS work without the need to buy an expensive smartphone, is that a viable workaround? Get a regular wifi router mount it on a car through which the tablet gps will work? Would it work with a ac/dc transverter for example? Would that installation create a wireless connection? Could it be useful that way for a long trip?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Okay, so you have two options then.
  • Get a mobile hotspot, which is a cellular modem that devices can connect to over Wi-Fi
  • Get a smartphone and use it as a GPS
Either way, most of the big carriers require you to have a 2 year contract.

And just so we're clear: Wi-Fi is not the internet. You need the internet for your tablet's navigation program to work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 am 

OK, Thanks.

BTW, So, what you are saying is that a regular Gps unit like a Garmin Nuvi, is setup with a connection to the internet? I always thought they run with wifi? I know that in home we are setup with the cable modem which provides internet and wifi services. My tablet is not a very expensive one, I was able to get the Gps module to work and loaded the required map software, planned a trip back home and it actually gave me a shorter route!
I just thought if it was connected to a wifi hotspot it would work just like a regular Gps unit!

Again, thanks for the help.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 pm 

A device like the Garmin Nuvi doesn't need wifi! It's a standalone device and just uses the GPS system for navigation. No cellular, no wifi, only GPS.

If your tablet has GPS capabilities, that should be sufficient for it to support navigation as well, and without being simultaneously connected to the internet. But I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps the GPS software on the tablet wants to provide real-time data for traffic alerts, turn by turn directions, map updates, etc. Seems like an extravagant feature, but I suppose it’s possible.

If you need internet connectivity in order for *that* GPS software to work on the tablet, then as the previous posters have said, you either need to use the cellular network (assuming the tablet can use that directly, because it has cellular capabilities), or else wifi (which virtually ALL tablets support) and connect that wifi to a cellular hotspot, most likely (and conveniently) provided by a cellular phone which supports data sharing.

IOW, your internet connectivity comes in one of two forms; either you have it directly via cellular on the tablet, or indirectly via wifi to another device that supports cellular. But in either case, it's the cellular network providing the internet connectivity, NOT wifi.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I believe you can buy an app for iOS or Android from Garmin or TomTom that's basically a no-internet required GPS application. But the free ones you get require internet to download map data.

Otherwise, it might be better just to get a standalone GPS unit.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Are you sure your tablet doesn't have 3g or 4g built in so you can just add it to your current data contract with your wireless phone provider?