Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't get my computer to recognize Dlink DWA 160 Adapter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 pm 

Recently i uninstalled my Dlink USB DWA 160 Adapter, using the uninstall program that came with the adapter. Now when i try to install it on another computer, the computer won't recognize it or can't find it. I have tried all the usb ports, same results. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful.

Post subject: Re: Can't get my computer to recognize Dlink DWA 160 Adapte
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You're supposed to install the drivers first.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:29 pm 

Thanks for the info. I did, by installing the program from the included CD. But when the software asks for me to plugin the adapter, that is when i get the message adapter not found or recognized. I have followed the exact same process in the past with this adapter and it worked just fine. I also know my USB ports are working because my mouse, keyboard, printer etc are working just fine. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Shawn Harris

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 am 
Willamette
Willamette

If you read the reviews (yeah, I know--you can't always trust the reviews about a product), you will see that, while this product appears to work fine with Windows XP Professional, it has issues with Windows 7 (both 32- and 64-bit versons), and has problems working consistently for hours on end. Have you tried going to D-Link's support site to download the latest WHQL drivers for Windows 7? If not, do so. Also, before you download anything from there, make sure you know whether your adapter is hardware revision A or hardware revision B. If your adapter is hardware revision B, they have the WHQL drivers available for Windows 7 (they were posted nearly two months ago on D-Link's site). If you have hardware revision A, you are probably out of luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:20 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on the hardware revision. Unfortunately my revision is A and as you say i am out of luck. I'll have to buy a new adapter.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Sorry to hear that, but that is what I suspected your final option would be. D-Link is a great manufacturer of networking products, but not all networking products have a long lifespan when it comes to support.