Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Small Form ATX Build
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
The BitFenix Prodigy was made to accommodate a beast like the GTX Titan. Like I said, the Prodigy barely counts as a Mini-ITX case.

Is it mini-ITX because the mobo size is restricted to mini-ITX?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Oh, ok then. So the case you first suggested, would that card you suggested be the only size that would fit in it?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

mecoatwar wrote:
Oh, ok then. So the case you first suggested, would that card you suggested be the only size that would fit in it?

Yes.

But again, how much are you willing to give up on size? The BitFenix Prodigy isn't a huge case by any means and is certainly more portable than most cases. But if you're looking for "small as possible", that's the case you want to avoid. I'd opt for one of the SilverStone cases if you still want graphical performance. But if you really want to shrink it down, you're going to have to give up running a dual slot video card.

Otherwise, you could go with AMD's APU, which would allow you to use smaller cases, but you lose your upgradeability (though honestly, this is if you upgrade your CPUs anyway)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Ok so now for an additional Challenge. What case would be the most conducive to watercooling?

And can you buy a better fan for the graphics card? Like one that is skinnier and more efficient?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it's mini-ITX still, BitFenix Prodigy. And while you could buy an aftermarket heatsink, no, it's not possible to have less mass and be more efficient with cooling. If the heatsink were to wrap around and go the other way, you might have chance, but I don't know of any such heatsink/fan.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:35 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

What water cooling setups would you recommend?

And what is a good graphics card for under 200$?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I won't be any help re: water cooling, even with good closed loop coolers available it makes me nervous. Probably why my main rig runs in a Cooler Master HAF 932 and sounds like a jet engine, but I play games with my headset on anyway :)

For best CPU or GPU at a certain price level, I find Tom's hardware usually has some pretty good recommendations. I agree with their current suggestions around the $200 price point: the GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB or the GTX 660. Something to be aware of about their recommendations is they don't generally take power consumption into account, just price and performance. Also, if you end up with a case other than the Prodigy, you'd have to worry about physical size of the card as well.

On another note, my June 2013 Maximum PC just arrived in the mail, and I'll be damned if the cover story isn't a trio of $750 PC builds duking it out. They chose to represent the 3 most affordable major CPU sockets available right now (i.e. no Haswell since it isn't out yet) - FM2, AM3+, and LGA 1155. If you subscribe to the mag, or you can find a copy on the newsstand, I think it was interesting reading through what the guys each picked and chose to focus on. They didn't go Mini-ITX, but that really just means different choice of Mobo+case+PSU, and also means AM3+ isn't really on the table, since the AMD Mini-ITX boards seem to be all FM1 and FM2, as I believe LatiosXT pointed out earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You see, the problem here is that you cannot have the perfect small form factor system. Something's gotta give.

You could go with a BitFenix Prodigy and have your BD-ROM drive, a two-slot graphics card, a full size ATX power supply, and plenty of space with the restriction of only using mini-ITX boards. If you want watercooling, then I would say forget it. 120mm radiators closed loop systems suck, the Prodigy is too small for an open loop setup, and even if you wanted to get a 120x240mm radiator, you lose the spot for your optical drive. If you want to shrink the size (but I see no indication of this), then you have to ax the Prodigy and possible a two-slot card if even the offerings made by Silverstone or Cooler Master are too large.

Even then, I wouldn't recommend a watercooling setup unless you're doing some serious overclocking.